WIU at Weber State (11/25/17) - Playoffs Round 1

Western_101

Weber State passes the "eye" test. They look ligit. Western needed their A game and it wasn't to be. Ailklen looked like a bionic man out there though.

Cantwell, was on his game. Just wonder/ who graduates high school at 19? Also there is a gap in his Bio. Just a curiosity.

Have the 'Necks faced a 25 year old QB before? Trubisky starts for the Bears and he is 23.

I think this team ranks as a top 10 in our D-I era. No other Leatherneck squad had a slate of 4 home games and 8 away games.

No other college team that I'm aware of, had to go 4-H and 8-A.

Proud, of this team. Very proud.
WIU2DC

RedNeck wrote:Weber State passes the "eye" test. They look ligit. Western needed their A game and it wasn't to be. Ailklen looked like a bionic man out there though.

Cantwell, was on his game. Just wonder/ who graduates high school at 19? Also there is a gap in his Bio. Just a curiosity.

Have the 'Necks faced a 25 year old QB before? Trubisky starts for the Bears and he is 23.

I think this team ranks as a top 10 in our D-I era. No other Leatherneck squad had a slate of 4 home games and 8 away games.

No other college team that I'm aware of, had to go 4-H and 8-A.

Proud, of this team. Very proud.
He has a gap in his bio because I believe he is Mormon and went on his mission. Which I believe is 18-19 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
letsgonecks

Ugly game, huge letdown, we're probably the better team, but played like shit.

Yeah, Sean didn't play well, but there is no question he's a top QB and our guy next year.

Can't blame him for looking for Acklin, he's a beast and Lesure failed time after time when we needed him to make a big catch. He was supposed to be our go to guy. Hopefully he steps up huge for us next year.

Really good season and proud of the guys. Wish we could have got Monmouth at home like UNI.
WIU2DC

letsgonecks wrote:Ugly game, huge letdown, we're probably the better team, but played like shit.

Yeah, Sean didn't play well, but there is no question he's a top QB and our guy next year.

Can't blame him for looking for Acklin, he's a beast and Lesure failed time after time when we needed him to make a big catch. He was supposed to be our go to guy. Hopefully he steps up huge for us next year.

Really good season and proud of the guys. Wish we could have got Monmouth at home like UNI.

Totally agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

RedNeck wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:09 pmCantwell, was on his game. Just wonder/ who graduates high school at 19?
Weber State QB Stefan Cantwell is 27. He served his 2-year LDS Mission 2012-2014.
wiu712

Weber State won 21-19.

Sean McGuire was 22 for 40 for 202 yards.

Sam Crosa was 2 for 2 on field goals: 44 yards and 45 yards.

Attendance at Weber State = 6,876.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's just a few of my thoughts on this game.

Yes, we could have played better, but also I'd give credit to Weber State's defense. They play defense like a MVFC team and they do it pretty well. A couple of times they had early hits on McGuire and he was kinda shaken up/banged up for most of the rest of the game...not quite on target with a lot of his throws. He's still one of the best QBs out there and absolutely should be the starter next year considering what we've seen so far from him. WSU pretty much eliminated our run game...which was kinda expected (although I hoped that our passing game would be solid enough to give us the edge), and that forced us to play a bit differently than we have most of the season.

Acklin finished his Leatherneck career with another 100+ yard receiving game and included some exceptional catches, especially considering he was battling injuries as well. It'll be interesting to see if we move even more towards the run game next year, with Acklin graduating and with a Senior Steve McShane, Junior Max Norris, Sophomore Clint Ratkovich, and who knows who else might step up.

Taylor finished his Leatherneck career with another double-digit tackle performance and was instrumental, along with guys like Pete Swenson and Mike Viti, in keeping us in the game against a very tough running team. I hope that the Buck Buchanan award voters recognize his contributions and make him the third Leatherneck to receive the award.

I knew this was going to be a tough game...nearly everyone that follows FCS football thought that both us and Weber State probably deserved "easier" first round games...it was essentially two teams ranked right around 9th/10th in the FCS going against each other. We play this game 10 times and I fully believe that each team takes 5 wins with an average margin of victory of about 3 points. It just came down to whomever was going to make one or two more plays or whomever was going to make one or two more mistakes. Unfortunately for us, we made a couple of costly mistakes and they made one or two more plays when the absolutely had to. We fought all the way to the end and lost to a team that has almost exactly the same positives and negatives that we do...there's no shame in that.

I like what I've seen so far out of Coach Fisher and his staff and look forward to seeing what we can do next year...after we see Taylor win the Buchanan award and get taken in the 2018 NFL Draft.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Weber State football fends off Western Illinois for FCS Playoff win.

From the Ogden, Utah Standard-Examiner:
http://www.standard.net/Weber-State/201 ... ov-25.html
wiu712

Western bows out with loss to Weber State.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... eber-state
Neckfansince71

This was a real "knock down, drag out" football game. Seems like Weber got the better end of the stick for most of our game. McGuire really got punished early and often and I am sure that had a lot to do with the final outcome. We had a number of players go down or were shaken up. I will always believe we deserved a better seed and a home game but that is NCAA politics. As Dr. Cody said during the pregame, we really needed to score touchdowns early and often which would have put Weber behind the 8 ball. Seemed to me that our tight ends and their tight ends were open a lot, almost at times forgotten when it came to pass protection. Not sure why that was??

No matter, we enjoyed this season!!!! Traveling to Coastal with the team really gave us insight into what it takes to travel in the FCS. We have class kids and a class coaching staff and the best is yet to come. We can be very very proud of how the represented "Leathernecknation " this year!!

I liked Weber's press box but the other side was nothing to really talk about. We should be proud of the way our turf and the eastside of Hanson look. Just gotta keep moving on the westside remodel!!! ;) jc