Football Recruits - 2018

meganeck

Caden Buettner has committed to WIU, looks like he is an OL from LaSalle, Il
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Once things slow down a little (for me personally), I'd like to run through all the recruits that I've seen offers for and update the spreadsheet with verbal commits and stuff, but in the meantime, I wanted to remind everyone that as of this year there is an early signing period for DI football from December 20-22 (that's in addition to the regular signing period in February).

Here's a bit more info: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -date-2017

Essentially, kids who are ready to go ahead and sign NLI's can do so in that timeframe, which is ok for guys who have made up their minds already. It's particularly good, however, for kids graduating HS early, because they can sign NLIs in December, get admissions and financial aid and other paperwork all taken care of and enroll and be on campus during the spring semester...so they can participate in spring practices and the spring game. If they had to wait until the regular signing period in February, they would have to wait until after then to enroll and everything (because there's a risk that the school could pull the scholarship offer until that point) and essentially spend the spring just sitting around...hopefully working out...but maybe not being as productive as they could be if they were on campus.

Here's more info about how it could impact schools and players: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... t-national, but I think overall it's a good thing for a school like Western. Lock in good prospects early; if school doesn't send a NLI for that window, the kid can have time to look around at some other options; if the kid doesn't sign early, the school can know that the kid may not really be committed and be prepared for that possibility.

EDIT - also relevant...
Is your team a Northern school? Well, you’re in luck.
Those teams will benefit greatly, given the provision that allows for recruits’ official visits to be taken in April through June. The previous official visit dates started after October, which was sometimes rough for schools with cold winters. But now, schools up north get to show off their springs and summers.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:21 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:44 pm Blair Brooks, Marion HS, Marion, IA
6'3" 180lb WR
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4151946/blair-brooks
If I am not mistaken, this young man's current HS Long Jump, High Jump, and 400M best marks are better than those of our Track and Field squad.
The earlier mentioned Deion McShane ran a 14.23 in the 110 hurdles in their conference meet which would put him #5 in WIU's record books if he ran that for us. He also won 200m, 300m hurdles, and long jump at the sectional meet meet and will compete in all four events at state this next weekend.

Crazy fast 110 meter hurdler who's very solidly built...that could make a very good RB.
mcShane committed to WIU today. also Brooks is taking a preferred walk-on opportunity with Iowa
WIU11DC

Is this our starting running backs little brother or just a person with the same last name?
meganeck

WIU11DC wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:13 pm Is this our starting running backs little brother or just a person with the same last name?
If you look back in this thread, someone mentioned he is Steve's little brother. There is also more info on him if you are interested.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU11DC wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:13 pm Is this our starting running backs little brother or just a person with the same last name?
Yea, guess my timing on this post was kinda perfect (I hadn't seen the bit about the younger McShane committing until just now). Steve's younger brother is (by Steve's own admission) faster than he is. He had offers from North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois State, and the University of Illinois (for track and field). This is pretty awesome...I was hoping we'd get him.
GV Dad

Great news! Does Taylor have a brother who is faster and stronger than he is that we can sign! :-)
rocki

GV Dad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:43 pm Great news! Does Taylor have a brother who is faster and stronger than he is that we can sign! :-)
Sorry, no. Gonna have to pull the next LB superstar from somewhere other than the Taylor family. ;)
GV Dad

Maybe GV ;)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pmMaybe GV ;)
Maybe.... :D

I know that we will for sure miss Taylor's ability to see where the ball is and know where it's going, as well as his leadership both on and off the field (remember, he...as a sophomore student athlete...was appointed to the hiring committee that brought us Coach Fisher). But if there's one thing I've seen in the last two years is that the recruits that Coach Fisher and his staff have brought in are by a large majority, great athletes, great students, and great human beings. Whether it's someone on the roster right now or someone who will be joining us next year, I have full confidence that they are able to find, train, and teach the next great Leatherneck linebacker.