vs Miami (OH), vs American, vs Milwaukee

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

That reminds me...idk if they're just waiting until break or what, but the video boards aren't back up in Western Hall yet (as of Wednesday).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am That reminds me...idk if they're just waiting until break or what, but the video boards aren't back up in Western Hall yet (as of Wednesday).
Blame the polar vortex.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Bill Holstein

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm
Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm
wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 pm Late run leads WIU past American.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... t-american
Convinced that Scott Holland hates our bigs. The red head finally had a break out game and he barely mentioned it. He only talks about him at the end of the article and only talks about the turnovers. Didn't anyone else realize that the kid was one block away from the school record? And two away from a triple double. Maybe it's only us big men that appreciate defense.
Check his live tweet stream. He knew what was going on.

If you are a big man who favors defense, I am interested in your take on how Gilbeck should defend Daum come conference play. When Daum pops out beyond the arc, does Gilbeck go with him?
Ah OK, I don't use that Twitter thing. I'll save that for my kids.

I haven't really seen this daum kid play, but if he's that dangerous then they have to stay with him. It'll take the red head away from the bucket, but it will eliminate the three ball. Looking at last year's stats, they must have played him correctly. Daum only had a few points both times against western. The downside is that there is no rim protection, and the little guards have to play defense. This will definitely be a concern. The few games that I have watched it seems like western defense goes to hell once the red head sits. They rely on him too much defensively.
But it's amazing how much the game has changed since my time. Never had to worry about bigs shooting the rock from that far away. Guess there wasn't a three line either....
leatherneckcountry

Bill Holstein wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 am
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm
Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Convinced that Scott Holland hates our bigs. The red head finally had a break out game and he barely mentioned it. He only talks about him at the end of the article and only talks about the turnovers. Didn't anyone else realize that the kid was one block away from the school record? And two away from a triple double. Maybe it's only us big men that appreciate defense.
Check his live tweet stream. He knew what was going on.

If you are a big man who favors defense, I am interested in your take on how Gilbeck should defend Daum come conference play. When Daum pops out beyond the arc, does Gilbeck go with him?
Ah OK, I don't use that Twitter thing. I'll save that for my kids.

I haven't really seen this daum kid play, but if he's that dangerous then they have to stay with him. It'll take the red head away from the bucket, but it will eliminate the three ball. Looking at last year's stats, they must have played him correctly. Daum only had a few points both times against western. The downside is that there is no rim protection, and the little guards have to play defense. This will definitely be a concern. The few games that I have watched it seems like western defense goes to hell once the red head sits. They rely on him too much defensively.
But it's amazing how much the game has changed since my time. Never had to worry about bigs shooting the rock from that far away. Guess there wasn't a three line either....
last year Daum got in foul trouble when they played here think you put Usiosefe on him and double down if needed you don't just blindly score 50 plus in a game without being something special.
wiu2013

I asked about the video boards. I was told waiting on company to come and move them. If they get moved by WIU and something happens then it is our problem to fix. Did we wait until the end of football to make an appointment to move the boards?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu2013 wrote:I asked about the video boards. I was told waiting on company to come and move them. If they get moved by WIU and something happens then it is our problem to fix. Did we wait until the end of football to make an appointment to move the boards?
That could be, since we didn't really know for sure that we were done with home games until after we played at Weber State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

We have been hearing a recording of "Neck Up" over the PA system at both the Men's and Women's basketball games this season.

Is that an original song that was written specifically for Western, or is it a song that it is the public domain ??? I could not find it on You Tube.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:51 am We have been hearing a recording of "Neck Up" over the PA system at both the Men's and Women's basketball games this season.

Is that an original song that was written specifically for Western, or is it a song that it is the public domain ??? I could not find it on You Tube.
I think (not 100% sure, do don't quote me on this) that it was done by a WIU student or former student who is now a rap artist in the Chicago area. I like it, personally...rather easy to get "into".

Also:
[tweet][/tweet]
wiu712

Western vs UW-Milwaukee. Saturday, December 9, at 7PM.
Hy-Vee Donut Day.
Bill Holstein

[/quote]
last year Daum got in foul trouble when they played here think you put Usiosefe on him and double down if needed you don't just blindly score 50 plus in a game without being something special.
[/quote]
Usiosefe isn't big enough to guard him. He's not tall enough to contest his 3 ball and not big enough to guard him in the post. Only time you would put him on him is if daum is the 4 and they have a bigger kid at the 5. I watched some of the games from last season (the power of synergy) and the red head did fine against him. Daum actually scored most of his points when he was on the bench.

You sparked my interest here. I just watched some of the highlights from this legendary 50 point game. To me it looks like he was left open on the 3 point line all game. The elephants were trying to "ice" the ball screens, leaving daum wide open. Kids got a hell of a shot, but he has to be open to shoot it. Takes way too long to get off.