Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

I went to graduate school with Sherry Eagle. She was both the principal and superintendent of West Aurora High School/West Aurora School District. The biggest problem I see is the total lack of a budget for 2 years which really strained all university finances. Universities deserve "catch-up" funds but won't get them. Just would like this to get solved at some time in the near future.

Also, you will notice that President Thomas was not quoted in the article. He happens to be the universities representative on the board, in fact he is the only College/University president on the board. ;) jc
wiu712

As the numbers stand now at Eastern Illinois University, new freshman are up by about 36 percent from Spring 2017 to Spring 2018. New transfers are up 49 percent. Non-traditional transfer students have increased by 8 percent, with all-new honors student numbers increasing by 22 percent. However, there are some slips in new international undergraduates and graduate numbers, but domestic graduate numbers are up for the spring semester.

In regards to Fall 2018, EIU is at the highest number of freshman admits than it has had in the last ten years.

On January 17, the state university presidents will be back in Springfield to talk about enrollment and marketing practices that are taking place, not the budget situation.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am As the numbers stand now at Eastern Illinois University, new freshman are up by about 36 percent from Spring 2017 to Spring 2018. New transfers are up 49 percent. Non-traditional transfer students have increased by 8 percent, with all-new honors student numbers increasing by 22 percent. However, there are some slips in new international undergraduates and graduate numbers, but domestic graduate numbers are up for the spring semester.

In regards to Fall 2018, EIU is at the highest number of freshman admits than it has had in the last ten years.

On January 17, the state university presidents will be back in Springfield to talk about enrollment and marketing practices that are taking place, not the budget situation.
So I wonder what Western's excuse is. EIU was in big trouble with enrollments and obviously decided to do something about it, while WIU seems satisfied with an 8.98% overall loss between Fall 2016 and Fall 2017, including a 15.29% decrease in freshmena and 15.13% decrease in sophomores. The only thing up was grad students, by 0.66%. I guess they all decided to go to EIU instead.http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/2018/fall/hc.php
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:34 pm
wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am As the numbers stand now at Eastern Illinois University, new freshman are up by about 36 percent from Spring 2017 to Spring 2018. New transfers are up 49 percent. Non-traditional transfer students have increased by 8 percent, with all-new honors student numbers increasing by 22 percent. However, there are some slips in new international undergraduates and graduate numbers, but domestic graduate numbers are up for the spring semester.

So I wonder what Western's excuse is. EIU was in big trouble with enrollments and obviously decided to do something about it, while WIU seems satisfied with an 8.98% overall loss between Fall 2016 and Fall 2017, including a 15.29% decrease in freshmena and 15.13% decrease in sophomores. The only thing up was grad students, by 0.66%. I guess they all decided to go to EIU instead.http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/2018/fall/hc.php
A possible answer to your question is collusion with the flagship system. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves! First of all, admits does not necessarily mean butts in the seats. And second, I don't see any official data from WIU at this point. So congrats to EIU but lets not get carried away in any direction at this point! ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 pm I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves! First of all, admits does not necessarily mean butts in the seats. And second, I don't see any official data from WIU at this point. So congrats to EIU but lets not get carried away in any direction at this point! ;) jc
But the Spring 2018 numbers, though not official until 10th day, should be pretty solid as they would be based on class registrations.
vatusay

I sure wish there was some sort of obvious correlation to point to.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 amBut the Spring 2018 numbers, though not official until 10th day, should be pretty solid as they would be based on class registrations.
The spring semester at EIU started on January 8 (one week earlier than at Western). Their "Count Day" will be on Monday (Jan 22).
wiu712

IBHE: There is a need for bold changes for Illinois’ higher education system.

From today's Springfield State-Journal Register:
http://www.sj-r.com/opinion/20180122/ib ... ion-system
Neckfansince71

This article is right on!!! Here is the final paragraph!

"We also want to assure families that stable state funding remains in place for the remainder of this fiscal year, and IBHE is preparing its recommendation for an appropriate higher education budget for next year and the years to come that will provide the stability to meet our goals of affordability, accessibility and innovation."

Tom Cross is the chairman and Al Bowman the executive director of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

;) jc