Hobby for a good cause

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

Way too much free time for a retired guy right now so I am embarking on a new woodworking hobby this winter after the 1st of year. I will be turning out some wood pen/pencil sets along with small wood boxes to store them in. I bought a small laser engraver that hooks up to my computer to do some fine detail engraving of the boxes and maybe the pens and pencils if it will work on the round surfaces. My goal is make everything have a WIU theme (engraved logos, colors, etc.) and make them available online (via this site?) and in the WIU Bookstore. All revenue will go to the WIU Foundation. I am interested in any design ideas you might have. If all you can do is offer words of encouragement, that too would be good because I am treading in uncharted waters here. The only thing left to buy is a small midi-size lathe. If you have experience with them, reviews would be helpful as well. Until I have done a few and get fairly proficient at cranking them out, I dont really have an idea how much they will end up costing. What price range do you think is a suitable for students/alumni/parents to shell out for a complete set or singular pen or pencil with box. Using the better woods (e.g. purpleheart and yellowheart are a close match to our colors) will definitely jack up the price. Using just a bit of the fancier woods as an inlay is also possible to keep the cost down. I would like to stay away from using any stains if I can. One thing for sure, this project will have me thinking of my junior high industrial arts days back in Alexis. I wonder where my chinese checkers plywood game board ended up? ;)

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 am Way too much free time for a retired guy right now so I am embarking on a new woodworking hobby this winter after the 1st of year. I will be turning out some wood pen/pencil sets along with small wood boxes to store them in.
Hope you offer us Leatherneck Club members a first opportunity to purchase! Look awesome.
I would suggest a gel ink rather than ballpoint.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 am Way too much free time for a retired guy right now so I am embarking on a new woodworking hobby this winter after the 1st of year. I will be turning out some wood pen/pencil sets along with small wood boxes to store them in. I bought a small laser engraver that hooks up to my computer to do some fine detail engraving of the boxes and maybe the pens and pencils if it will work on the round surfaces. My goal is make everything have a WIU theme (engraved logos, colors, etc.) and make them available online (via this site?) and in the WIU Bookstore. All revenue will go to the WIU Foundation. I am interested in any design ideas you might have. If all you can do is offer words of encouragement, that too would be good because I am treading in uncharted waters here. The only thing left to buy is a small midi-size lathe. If you have experience with them, reviews would be helpful as well. Until I have done a few and get fairly proficient at cranking them out, I dont really have an idea how much they will end up costing. What price range do you think is a suitable for students/alumni/parents to shell out for a complete set or singular pen or pencil with box. Using the better woods (e.g. purpleheart and yellowheart are a close match to our colors) will definitely jack up the price. Using just a bit of the fancier woods as an inlay is also possible to keep the cost down. I would like to stay away from using any stains if I can. One thing for sure, this project will have me thinking of my junior high industrial arts days back in Alexis. I wonder where my chinese checkers plywood game board ended up? ;)

Those are going to be really nice!!! Besides Rocky, a block W, Western, and the like are you going to incorporate "Tradition of Tough" and other such Leatherneck sayings?
sealhall74

After doing some research, I am hoping to expand my wood-turning offerings. Pens and pencils are nice but fishing plugs are also cool. The WIU Bass Fishing Club will hopefully be casting away with some custom plugs this year. Damn, I hope I am a really quick learner on the lathe and air brush gun. :lol:

sealhall74

In addition to some laser engraving, I want to offer simple "tatooing" of the pens and whatever else. Does anyone out there know if these small fingernail decals are available for the Leathernecks?

sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm In addition to some laser engraving, I want to offer simple "tatooing" of the pens and whatever else. Does anyone out there know if these small fingernail decals are available for the Leathernecks?

How the hell do I forward this to the cheerleaders? They would have to know the answer.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 amHow the hell do I forward this to the cheerleaders? They would have to know the answer.
The Western cheerleading coach is Karen Trusley: KM-Trusley@wiu.edu
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 amHow the hell do I forward this to the cheerleaders? They would have to know the answer.
Thanks 712. Hopefully she says yes. Those things are the perfect size I need.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:50 pm
wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am
Thanks 712. Hopefully she says yes. Those things are the perfect size I need.
She said at one time we had some but the company that provided them no longer supplies them. So, maybe I can crank out my own on very thin clear acetate film sheets with an inkjet printer which I dont currently own. These decals will ultimately be covered with many coats of CA finishing glue so the backing film might actually disappear if it is thin enough.