Football Recruits - 2018

sealhall74

vatusay wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm I think WIU beats Kansas last year, anyways lol
Lots of factors come in to play but if PWOs and other athletes are guaranteed tickets to Phog Allen Fieldhouse in the winter, it is a no-brainer.
Only 4K lucky students per game get to enjoy that rite and from what I read, they are stealing student seats and giving them to big donors.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

Daymon Murphy also commits.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Wow...you guys are on all this better than I am these days. I see a commit on twitter, head on over here to mention it, and it's already been posted here.

Here's a bit more info:
Josh Shodipo had originally committed, then reopened his recruiting a while back (before the coaching change), and has now recommitted. He had offers from SIU, INSU, and SDSU also.
[tweet][/tweet]

Daymon Murray is a safety originally from Florida, but by way of Snow College in Ephraim, UT. He also had offers from UTEP and Idaho State.
[tweet][/tweet]

Lots of potential with those guys too. By my count that's at least 7 players that should be heading our way on signing day. 6 who have verbally committed, one who is already a grad student here, and quite a few more that are still making their decisions.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Pretty pumped about all our commits thus far, but this Murray kid looks like a stud and has a chance to fill the spot next to Fitz at Safety. Team leading rusher as a FR with 437, 6.1, and 7 TD's. Moved to safety and had 58 tackles, 5 int's, 2 FF, 1 FR and 9 pass breakups. Took 2 picks and the FR back for TD's.

Was wondering why he moved to DB and maybe it was better for his future or they brought in 2 world beaters......2 FR backs over 1000, averaging 6.8/7.7, with 16/11 TD's. QB rushed for 577 with 7 TD's and still passed for 2000 and 20 TD's. That's some offense.
WIU11DC

The day is almost here! I am working OT at work and a little bored so I started to google some of the outstanding players that we have offered. Garrett Sapp, 6'5, 230 pound WR/TE has not signed with anyone yet. The only FBS offer I have seen is Eastern Michigan and the rest are FCS schools. Just by his size I hope he decides to come play ball with us. He is actually an inch taller than Goedert and we all know what that size is able to do in this league. (Sapp is thirty pounds lighter than Goedert but is also a high school senior.)

Rivals.com is also saying Henry Yoboue has is a verbal commit to UAB. (As well is his Twitter saying it too)
BJ Ojo (If its the right student athlete) has multiple offers from BIG12 schools too.
Beau Morris is a commit of SMU
Demarcus Elliot has an offer from Kansas State but says undecided.
Bryce Beekman looks like a JUCO player out of a JUCO in San Deigo. Rivals has him with an offer from us, Tulsa, UNLV, and is undecided.
Ronald Audette gave his Verbal to Oregon State on 01-29-18. I believe he originally was a verbal commit with NDSU and then opened up recruiting again.
All of this info was pulled from Rivals.com
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A bit more info coming in:

An offer for this guy (WR/CB with offers from Ball State, UNI, and Weber State...had originally committed to Ball State but reopened recruiting last week)
[tweet][/tweet]

And there's also LaCale London, who didn't say anything about an official offer on twitter, but has a post from yesterday with a graphic showing him in a WIU jersey:
[tweet][/tweet]

Also, regarding Rivals...in my experience, they are rather lacking in terms of FCS info. Your much better off going to a kid's twitter account to see what they've posted in terms of offers and commitments. Not saying Rivals is wrong in the case of these guys, but they tend to not spend a lot of time looking into FCS schools.

I did go through and checked everyone's twitter of the guys who hadn't verbally committed and updated status on a few: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
There's a couple of guys you'll see who had offers to FCS schools but verbally committed to a place like Iowa Western CC. Just FYI, Iowa Western CC is one of those CC's that specializes in taking kids who didn't have any FBS offers and getting them to that point. For example, Andrew Van Ginkel was the MVFC Freshman of the Year in 2015 at South Dakota, transferred to IWCC for a season (2016) and got an offer to play at Wisconsin, where he played in 14 games this last season: http://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id= ... h=football.
So mostly they are guys who think (or have convinced themselves) that they are FBS-worthy players, and are going to try that route.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like they're going to do a live stream of signing day: http://goleathernecks.com/news/2018/2/2 ... media.aspx

Going to be on Facebook and Twitter, recap of the early signing period at 8 AM, signing day announcements at 10 and noon, and a wrap-up press conference at 3 PM.
WIU11DC

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am A bit more info coming in:

An offer for this guy (WR/CB with offers from Ball State, UNI, and Weber State...had originally committed to Ball State but reopened recruiting last week)
[tweet][/tweet]

And there's also LaCale London, who didn't say anything about an official offer on twitter, but has a post from yesterday with a graphic showing him in a WIU jersey:
[tweet][/tweet]

Also, regarding Rivals...in my experience, they are rather lacking in terms of FCS info. Your much better off going to a kid's twitter account to see what they've posted in terms of offers and commitments. Not saying Rivals is wrong in the case of these guys, but they tend to not spend a lot of time looking into FCS schools.

I did go through and checked everyone's twitter of the guys who hadn't verbally committed and updated status on a few: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
There's a couple of guys you'll see who had offers to FCS schools but verbally committed to a place like Iowa Western CC. Just FYI, Iowa Western CC is one of those CC's that specializes in taking kids who didn't have any FBS offers and getting them to that point. For example, Andrew Van Ginkel was the MVFC Freshman of the Year in 2015 at South Dakota, transferred to IWCC for a season (2016) and got an offer to play at Wisconsin, where he played in 14 games this last season: http://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id= ... h=football.
So mostly they are guys who think (or have convinced themselves) that they are FBS-worthy players, and are going to try that route.
Thanks for the info but Hudl doesn't have the other offers for the student athletes. So, do you check their twitter and Hudle page for their videos? Also, thanks for the info still navigating the wild world of recruiting.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU11DC wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:18 pm Thanks for the info but Hudl doesn't have the other offers for the student athletes. So, do you check their twitter and Hudle page for their videos? Also, thanks for the info still navigating the wild world of recruiting.
Twitter accounts for official offers and verbal commitments.
Hudl for videos and things like height, weight, etc. Sometimes the player will post their height and weight on their twitter bio section, but not real often.

What I've found is that rivals doesn't really cover a lot of the kids. It does look like they've stepped things up somewhat in the last couple of years...used to be you'd do a search for Western Illinois and end up with like 4 prospects listed. Anyway, often there's at least a few kids out there that are being recruited/offered and rivals misses.

Nearly every kid I search for has a twitter account and hudl page though, so I can always find at least some info there.
I've got a twitter search that shows me anything with WIU or Western Illinois in it. You could also further narrow it down by searching for "offer" or "offered" and "WIU" or Western Illinois".
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

[tweet][/tweet]