Should we keep daylight savings time?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
Neckfansince71

While we were in Florida last month their was a discussion once again about an extended day-light savings time. I remember that this was tried by Jimmy Carter and the federal government back in 1974 and 75. It actually saved on energy, something that we use to be more concerned about in the past. I just remember how dark it was when I walked to my US History class in Morgan Hall. At 8:00, it was not only dark, but the weather was very very cold. Does anyone remember this? ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm While we were in Florida last month their was a discussion once again about an extended day-light savings time. I remember that this was tried by Jimmy Carter and the federal government back in 1974 and 75. It actually saved on energy, something that we use to be more concerned about in the past. I just remember how dark it was when I walked to my US History class in Morgan Hall. At 8:00, it was not only dark, but the weather was very very cold. Does anyone remember this? ;) jc
It's great for me cause I work 3rd shift and when I get home it's dark and I can go right to sleep.
sealhall74

I think we should keep everyone on their toes. Split all existing time zones in half regardless of political boundaries. When it is time to fall back or spring forward, you only roll forward or back by a half hour. Wouldn't that be an energy savings? :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm While we were in Florida last month their was a discussion once again about an extended day-light savings time. I remember that this was tried by Jimmy Carter and the federal government back in 1974 and 75. It actually saved on energy, something that we use to be more concerned about in the past. I just remember how dark it was when I walked to my US History class in Morgan Hall. At 8:00, it was not only dark, but the weather was very very cold. Does anyone remember this? ;) jc
Absolutely. I had a two hour class in Horrabin that started at 8. When you got out at 10, it felt like you had spent all night in class since it was cold and dark when you went in, and daylight (but still cold) when you came out.
wiu712

I remember that year back in the 70's with the year-round DST. One year of school kids waiting in the dark for the school bus was all it took for that "experiment" to come to an end.