Conference Affiliation Stuff

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
Western_101

What exactly caused the mass Exodus of the Mid-Con to the MCC in 1994?

Western certainly was the unlucky or non progressive member that was left in the wreckage when the music stopped. Others had planned and strategically moved on and found a nice seat (mostly)together elsewhere. Western should have gone MCC or OVC back in '94. Mid-Con should have been put in a body bag.

Why didn't Western react back then when everything was falling apart around them?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am What exactly caused the mass Exodus of the Mid-Con to the MCC in 1994?

Western certainly was the unlucky or non progressive member that was left in the wreckage when the music stopped. Others had planned and strategically moved on and found a nice seat (mostly)together elsewhere. Western should have gone MCC or OVC back in '94. Mid-Con should have been put in a body bag.

Why didn't Western react back then when everything was falling apart around them?
I don't really know the answer since I wasn't following WIU athletics back then, but for those that don't know (like myself up until a couple of minutes ago), the MCC is the Midwestern City Conference->Midwestern Collegiate Conference, which became the Horizon League in 2001.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am
RedNeck wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am What exactly caused the mass Exodus of the Mid-Con to the MCC in 1994?

I don't really know the answer since I wasn't following WIU athletics back then, but for those that don't know (like myself up until a couple of minutes ago), the MCC is the Midwestern City Conference->Midwestern Collegiate Conference, which became the Horizon League in 2001.
My $.02 is that the larger urban-area schools wanted to separate themselves from the rest of the bunch. It does make a lot of sense from a travel standpoint. Makes you kind of scratch your head and wonder just how much the upbringing of an AD has to do with the decision he or she makes. If you come from a small school/rural area, you are probably less likely to jump into the deep end of a big city environment.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Scott, is it true that Agustana University SD is exploring the possibility of going D-I ?

Getting to 10 members 12 even better for the Summit should be an objective. Augie seems like an unwise addition. University of Minn. Mankato would be a better choice if the ADs are Hell bent on a NCC 2.0. South Dakota has less than a million residents. What is Illinois like 13 million people? I guess if we were to follow that model Illinois would have like 44 D-I schools LOL. Everybody and their grandmother wants to sit at the D-I table, It's so watered down it's getting a little ridiculous.

I think UMKC coming back seems pretty sensible. I'd like to see SIUE and/or UIC in the Summit. I do think WIU should at least explore the options of going elsewhere. Maybe it would make sense maybe not :?:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Scott, is it true that Agustana University SD is exploring the possibility of going D-I ?

Getting to 10 members 12 even better for the Summit should be an objective. Augie seems like an unwise addition. University of Minn. Mankato would be a better choice if the ADs are Hell bent on a NCC 2.0. South Dakota has less than a million residents. What is Illinois like 13 million people? I guess if we were to follow that model Illinois would have like 44 D-I schools LOL. Everybody and their grandmother wants to sit at the D-I table, It's so watered down it's getting a little ridiculous.

I think UMKC coming back seems pretty sensible. I'd like to see SIUE and/or UIC in the Summit. I do think WIU should at least explore the options of going elsewhere. Maybe it would make sense maybe not :?:
That is correct. They've got big-time Sanford money to help them move if they decide to do it. Most people outside of Sioux Falls think it's just about the dumbest idea ever. I've got more info/opinions that I'll post when I get back from lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm
RedNeck wrote:Scott, is it true that Agustana University SD is exploring the possibility of going D-I ?

That is correct. They've got big-time Sanford money to help them move if they decide to do it. Most people outside of Sioux Falls think it's just about the dumbest idea ever. I've got more info/opinions that I'll post when I get back from lunch.

Careful where you go, ST. Don't want to get your lunch money taken or have your lunch handed to you, like what we got going right now in the Summit.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Careful where you go, ST. Don't want to get your lunch money taken or have your lunch handed to you, like what we got going right now in the Summit.
I don't mind a some Dakota now and then and for the most part I like them. However, it's starting to feel like I've had a feeding tube put in and it's become an all Dakotas all the time diet. I'm having a hard time not feeling resentful about this direction.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's the thread about Augustana (SD) moving to DI over on AGS: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ng-Pioneer

Sounds like they'd probably try to go Summit League in most sports and Pioneer League in football. The only reason it's being even remotely considered is because of Sanford Health and their $$$. Actually if it weren't for Sanford, I'm not sure that all of the current DI Dakota schools would have made it to DI.

As far as I know MN State Mankato is either not interested in moving up or has been essentially "held down" by U of Minnesota because they want there to only be one DI school in MN.

Apparently the Horizon League has been doing some things that are kinda alienating the teams west of Lake Michigan, focusing instead on the IN/MI region. I floated an idea later on in that thread of letting the HL have Fort Wayne, Summit takes UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, UI-Chicago, and brings back in UMKC. Then you have 12 teams and travel partners like this: Milwaukee/Green Bay, UIC/WIU, UMKC/Oral Bob, UND/NDSU, USD/SDSU, Omaha/Denver.

Unfortunately that makes too much sense to actually happen.
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:09 pm Here's the thread about Augustana (SD) moving to DI over on AGS: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ng-Pioneer

Sounds like they'd probably try to go Summit League in most sports and Pioneer League in football. The only reason it's being even remotely considered is because of Sanford Health and their $$$. Actually if it weren't for Sanford, I'm not sure that all of the current DI Dakota schools would have made it to DI.

As far as I know MN State Mankato is either not interested in moving up or has been essentially "held down" by U of Minnesota because they want there to only be one DI school in MN.

Apparently the Horizon League has been doing some things that are kinda alienating the teams west of Lake Michigan, focusing instead on the IN/MI region. I floated an idea later on in that thread of letting the HL have Fort Wayne, Summit takes UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, UI-Chicago, and brings back in UMKC. Then you have 12 teams and travel partners like this: Milwaukee/Green Bay, UIC/WIU, UMKC/Oral Bob, UND/NDSU, USD/SDSU, Omaha/Denver.

Unfortunately that makes too much sense to actually happen.
That is a very very palatable membership you have cobbled together.

I would REALLY be OK with that. Throw in a non-con home and home with EIU, a non con home and home with SIUe, a 2-1 with Bradley and ISU. Ya know UNI could be decent and help a MVFC brother out and throw us a bone for a home and home (prob have to be a 2-1 though). Gotta get a non-con Valpo in there for sure.

This may be really the best option out there.
Western_101

Dammit Scott, you've given me hope. I don't know what to do with hope. :lol: