Introduce Yourself

GV Dad

I've noticed a lot of people view topics on the football board but rarely or never post. I would love for everyone to take a second and reply on this thread. The more folks that participate the better on forums like this. You don't need to give your name if you're not comfortable, but maybe where you live, and what your connection is to WIU. Anything to get the ball rolling.

I live in Gladstone, which is a suburb just north of Kansas City MO. My son is Freshman DE on the Football team, which is my connection to the school. I've been to Macomb 5 times now, and hate to leave it more and more after each visit. Absolutely love Chubby's! (Thanks for the reco on the Buffalo Chicken Pony Scott!) I'm very excited for the season to start, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by our success! Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you, in this thread and at a tailgate in the future!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Great idea GV Dad.

Most of you know me pretty well already...I'm a fairly "open book" around here, but for those of you who don't...
I was born and raised in Macomb, practically in the shadows of Thompson and Higgins Halls (I actually went to K-2nd in the University Lab grade school in Horrabin Hall), and have had multiple family members work for Western.
I started as a student at WIU in 1996, was a member of the Marching Leathernecks from '96-'00...probably the best half-decade in our football program's history, which is a big part of why I became such a big fan.
Graduated in '01, worked a few places around town before getting a job at WIU in 2008. I've been working at Western ever since. I still live close enough to campus that I generally run right through it and past the football field when I go running in the evening...Hanson Field is less than a mile from my house.

I've missed maybe ~12 home games total since 1996 (mostly when my kids were younger) and have attended many of the closer away games including games at Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, and multiple games at Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Illinois State.

The Leatherneck Nation site was actually started sometime around 2006 by a UNI fan who had also started up their message board, Panther Nation. I took over running the site maybe about 6 years ago from him.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:32 am Great idea GV Dad.

Most of you know me pretty well already...I'm a fairly "open book" around here, but for those of you who don't...
I was born and raised in Macomb, practically in the shadows of Thompson and Higgins Halls (I actually went to K-2nd in the University Lab grade school in Horrabin Hall), and have had multiple family members work for Western.
I started as a student at WIU in 1996, was a member of the Marching Leathernecks from '96-'00...probably the best half-decade in our football program's history, which is a big part of why I became such a big fan.
Graduated in '01, worked a few places around town before getting a job at WIU in 2008. I've been working at Western ever since. I still live close enough to campus that I generally run right through it and past the football field when I go running in the evening...Hanson Field is less than a mile from my house.

I've missed maybe ~12 home games total since 1996 (mostly when my kids were younger) and have attended many of the closer away games including games at Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, and multiple games at Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Illinois State.

The Leatherneck Nation site was actually started sometime around 2006 by a UNI fan who had also started up their message board, Panther Nation. I took over running the site maybe about 6 years ago from him.
What instrument did you play?
leatherneckcountry

I Graduated from WIU in 14 I grew up about 45 minutes North of Macomb and I still live in Macomb. I maybe the only person on here who is closer to Hanson Field than ST as I can walk to Hanson in about 5 minutes. I'm also one of a very few that is a bigger basketball fan than football even though i'm a huge football guy as well. A lot of that is because I spent 2 yrs as a student manager at the JUCO that I went to including winning a National Championship in my Sophomore year as they won the year after I left as well. I'm hoping to make my 1st road games this year at U of I and possibly ISU games as I've made it to a few away basketball games and the girls game at U of I last year. I've had the privilege of meeting several of our coaches since I've been here which is what I love about a school like WIU when I'm out and I see one of the coaches they will stop and talk and care about you as I've had may conversations with JD, Brownlee, and coach Stockton and have meant coach Elliot a couple of times. I came across this board by accident as I googled something when coach Nielsen was leaving and the board was something that had popped up I had no clue things like this existed and now I'm on here USD board and AGS and go to many other board to look up things but ours USD and AGS are the easiest to navigate. I've only meant ST and Brian but hope to meet others in the future.
tjk1985

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm I Graduated from WIU in 14 I grew up about 45 minutes North of Macomb and I still live in Macomb. I maybe the only person on here who is closer to Hanson Field than ST as I can walk to Hanson in about 5 minutes. I'm also one of a very few that is a bigger basketball fan than football even though i'm a huge football guy as well. A lot of that is because I spent 2 yrs as a student manager at the JUCO that I went to including winning a National Championship in my Sophomore year as they won the year after I left as well. I'm hoping to make my 1st road games this year at U of I and possibly ISU games as I've made it to a few away basketball games and the girls game at U of I last year. I've had the privilege of meeting several of our coaches since I've been here which is what I love about a school like WIU when I'm out and I see one of the coaches they will stop and talk and care about you as I've had may conversations with JD, Brownlee, and coach Stockton and have meant coach Elliot a couple of times. I came across this board by accident as I googled something when coach Nielsen was leaving and the board was something that had popped up I had no clue things like this existed and now I'm on here USD board and AGS and go to many other board to look up things but ours USD and AGS are the easiest to navigate. I've only meant ST and Brian but hope to meet others in the future.
Awesome! Come to the football games and bring friends!! 😄
tjk1985

Like GV Dad, my son, TJ, is a freshman on the offensive line. We are also in West Missouri, Lee’s Summit, to be exact Very excited to be a part of this venture!! Going to be a fun few years; great coaches and some great talent.

My friends call me TK so feel free to do likewise. We are a former Mizzou family now firmly WIU. I have a wife and TJ has an older sister, and we’ll be around Lot Q pregame!

Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask! 😄
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:46 am What instrument did you play?
Trombone. I'm also the band alumni coordinator, so I organize the alumni band at Homecoming and the alumni pep band for one of the basketball games in the spring (usually late February).

Me then (1998)...I'm the short one on the right:

Me now-ish...still short, just fyi (last fall):
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm I Graduated from WIU in 14 I grew up about 45 minutes North of Macomb and I still live in Macomb. I maybe the only person on here who is closer to Hanson Field than ST as I can walk to Hanson in about 5 minutes. I'm also one of a very few that is a bigger basketball fan than football even though i'm a huge football guy as well. A lot of that is because I spent 2 yrs as a student manager at the JUCO that I went to including winning a National Championship in my Sophomore year as they won the year after I left as well. I'm hoping to make my 1st road games this year at U of I and possibly ISU games as I've made it to a few away basketball games and the girls game at U of I last year. I've had the privilege of meeting several of our coaches since I've been here which is what I love about a school like WIU when I'm out and I see one of the coaches they will stop and talk and care about you as I've had may conversations with JD, Brownlee, and coach Stockton and have meant coach Elliot a couple of times. I came across this board by accident as I googled something when coach Nielsen was leaving and the board was something that had popped up I had no clue things like this existed and now I'm on here USD board and AGS and go to many other board to look up things but ours USD and AGS are the easiest to navigate. I've only meant ST and Brian but hope to meet others in the future.
Love the Coaches at WIU, they are all so personable and easy to talk too. Great recruiters!
WIU2DC

Hi! I’m Matt. I graduated from WIU in 2011 and unfortunately I live 849 miles (google it, was curious) from Hanson field in Washington D.C. I loved going to the games when I was in college and have become even more of a FCS fan since graduation. My goal is to make it to at least one away game a year. Last year Coastal and Illinois State. This year I’ll be at the Montana State game and hopefully a playoff game! Was planning on coming to homecoming this year but have a wedding that day.

Go Necks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

My son and I are also big Pizza Fans! Love Gelsosomo's !