Hanson Field - The New West Side

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIUSuperFan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:32 pm Can you do some investigative work and find out Scott? You're our reliable web producer!
Web developer ≠ quality investigator
I have sources for some info, but I don't know if I know anyone who would know what you want to know....you know?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Can someone just appease me please. Tell me it will be shiny and beautiful and ground breaking will start November 19th of this year.

I would prefer the truth but in lieu of that I will also be accepting any fanciful lies (provided they are positive and give me delusions of hope) that anyone can offer up.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. renderings of the stadium would be greatly appreciated (feel free to remove the track via photoshop if so desired).

Yours truly, your faithful purple Red'Neck. :D
Western_101

Nothing? :cry:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 amNothing? :cry:
Oh...um...ok...well.....
looking out my window from seal hall....it looks like construction could be complete on the new west side any day...

I won't say what year that "any day" might be in...but lets just go with "any day".
WIUSuperFan

So this project is still in the works??? It hasn't been aborted all together?
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIUSuperFan wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 pm So this project is still in the works??? It hasn't been aborted all together?
Last I heard, still working on raising funds for it. Essentially the entire thing has to be private funding at this point because of the financial situation we're in. They probably have a specific point they have to hit that isn't quite the full amount before they feel comfortable starting construction (I'd imagine that some donors are wanting to hold off until something tangible is happening).
wiu712

WIUSuperFan wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 pm So this project is still in the works??? It hasn't been aborted all together?
Playing "Devil's Advocate" here: When you have the defending national champions and currently-ranked #1 team coming into town, and the crowd is only 2,709, you have much more immediate problems to attend to.

I would expect that there will be a meeting on Monday between Sherman Hall administrators and Western Athletics to discuss the dwindling attendance at Western football games.

Saturday's poor attendance was downright embarrassing. The Fargo news media were commenting about it.
leatherneckcountry

This is what happens when a game gets scheduled for 6 on a Saturday in October. I also think not having a home game until the middle of September is a mistake by then students are involved in other things so if you get the students involved earlier in the season maybe you can keep there interest
vatusay

wiu712 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 am
Playing "Devil's Advocate" here: When you have the defending national champions and currently-ranked #1 team coming into town, and the crowd is only 2,709, you have much more immediate problems to attend to.

I would expect that there will be a meeting on Monday between Sherman Hall administrators and Western Athletics to discuss the dwindling attendance at Western football games.

Saturday's poor attendance was downright embarrassing. The Fargo news media were commenting about it.
Dingdingding
#ALLIN #YOLO
HoosierNeck13

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:30 am This is what happens when a game gets scheduled for 6 on a Saturday in October. I also think not having a home game until the middle of September is a mistake by then students are involved in other things so if you get the students involved earlier in the season maybe you can keep there interest
I'll second that. As a student, I loved it when classes started on Monday and we had the Thursday night home game to open the season. Most of my undergrad (2003-2006), I remember mostly 1pm starts.

Something has to change and the beer sales didn't make as big an impact as I thought