Men's Soccer

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

When we redid Hanson Field, it cost $1.3M to install the new turf in 2011. From the facilities page about the stadium:
The Hanson Field renovation project also includes: removal of the current grass surface and the track and field jump pits, installation of Matrix Turf and renovation of the field events area. The installation of a javelin runway, four new pits for long jump and triple jump, and redesigning the discus/shot put area will take place. Total cost of the project is $1.3 million.
Also
The east side received a $5 million face-lift prior to the 2007 season. The renovation to the student seating section, funded largely by a facilities enhancement and life safety fee at the request of student leaders, included new bleachers, increased seating capacity, a new entrance, restrooms and concession stands.
So if you do a new field for soccer that is turf, with a track, stands maybe half the size of the east side, and one building that they can use for restrooms/concessions (instead of the two buildings)...could probably be done for under $6M, I would imagine. It's obviously not going to happen in the next few years because of budget issues, but it's nice to think about what we might be able to do in the future.

Honestly, I don't think we really need a pedestrian bridge at this point when we're only getting like 100-200 people at matches. We start drawing 500+, then maybe we can talk about a bridge of some kind. Might be able to connect it on one side to the second level entrance of Brophy, then there'd be easy access to the building, plus ramps down both sides already.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:43 pm When we redid Hanson Field, it cost $1.3M to install the new turf in 2011. From the facilities page about the stadium:
The Hanson Field renovation project also includes: removal of the current grass surface and the track and field jump pits, installation of Matrix Turf and renovation of the field events area. The installation of a javelin runway, four new pits for long jump and triple jump, and redesigning the discus/shot put area will take place. Total cost of the project is $1.3 million.
Also
The east side received a $5 million face-lift prior to the 2007 season. The renovation to the student seating section, funded largely by a facilities enhancement and life safety fee at the request of student leaders, included new bleachers, increased seating capacity, a new entrance, restrooms and concession stands.
So if you do a new field for soccer that is turf, with a track, stands maybe half the size of the east side, and one building that they can use for restrooms/concessions (instead of the two buildings)...could probably be done for under $6M, I would imagine. It's obviously not going to happen in the next few years because of budget issues, but it's nice to think about what we might be able to do in the future.

Honestly, I don't think we really need a pedestrian bridge at this point when we're only getting like 100-200 people at matches. We start drawing 500+, then maybe we can talk about a bridge of some kind. Might be able to connect it on one side to the second level entrance of Brophy, then there'd be easy access to the building, plus ramps down both sides already.

I agree the pedestrian bridge needs to be closely linked up to Brophy on the north somehow or it does not make sense to do it. The south end of it could be tied directly to a future new arena or parking garage next to arena or whatever.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

I personally have always been scared to death of pedestrian bridges nope not for this guy
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:02 pm I personally have always been scared to death of pedestrian bridges nope not for this guy

since the FIU tragedy in Florida, they are definitely getting a lot more scrutiny.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:03 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:02 pm I personally have always been scared to death of pedestrian bridges nope not for this guy

since the FIU tragedy in Florida, they are definitely getting a lot more scrutiny.
Maybe the ROTC can set up a nice rope bridge across the road ;)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:09 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Maybe the ROTC can set up a nice rope bridge across the road ;)
I saw this one during my Jackson Hole stopover. Looked challenging but not for me. A little hike up the hill was enough for an old-timer like me.

wiu712

Men's Soccer won Saturday's match over Dayton 1-0. This was Western's first win of the season (now 1-3-1).

Attendance at the TBK Sports Complex in Bettendorf = 112.

Next match will be at Northern Illinois on Wednesday (Sept 12). Game time is 7PM.
wiu712

Northern Illinois won the Wednesday night match 1-0.

Attendance at NIU = 213.

Next match will be at Valparaiso on Saturday.
wiu712

Saturday's soccer match at Valparaiso ended in a 0-0 tie. Men's soccer is now 1-4-2 on the season.

Attendance at Valpo = 163.

Men's soccer will be home on Tuesday for a 4PM match with IUPUI.
wiu712

Western Men's Soccer won Tuesday's match 1-0 over IUPUI. The game was stopped due to darkness at 84:00 (2 lightning delays).

Attendance at MacKenzie Field = 75.

Next match will September 26 at Drake.