Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:This is a message board is in no way officially tied to the Western Illinois University. People can comment (I believe it's in the bill of rights).

Anyway I digress. Just one opinion Bruce Rauner is a piece of garbage.

Like a privileged, influenced affluent, never had to put in manual work day in his life piece of garbage.
Couple of things...

1. Freedom of speech just means that the government will not arrest a person for saying something. It doesn't mean that a website can't shut down someone for saying something they don't agree with or that someone else can't try to drown them out. This site is not affiliated with Western, but from a legal standpoint, I do have the ability to delete comments or block people.

2. I don't believe I've ever deleted someone's comment or banned anyone except spammers. I don't plan on starting now. I consider this site all of ours. Yes, I run it, and the domain is in my name, but without all of you there wouldn't be much of a site.

3. That being said, I generally prefer to stay away from political discussion unless it directly affects WIU, and I don't want to even touch national politics on this site. You can disagree with someone's politics, but if you are going to talk about them, I'd prefer we step back from name-calling. I think people can disagree politically while still remaining civil.

I can guarantee that my personal political thoughts and beliefs are significantly different than those of some of you around here, but I like to think of this as a place to talk about WIU (mostly athletics, but sometimes other topics relevant to WIU). I'd prefer to keep it focused on that if we can.

Anyway, to make a long story short...

"Rauner wants to open a U of I-QC, and we think that is good/bad for Macomb or WIU and this is why..."
I don't have a problem with someone saying something like that.

"Rauner/Pritzker (or anyone) is garbage (or any number of worse names)"
How about no. It's not a huge leap to devolve from that to the point where we're calling each other names. I've seen it happen too often on other sites to let it happen here.

Sound good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

To be fair. JB Pritzker has known nothing but a life of privilege. So yeah, pretty disheartening, these are our options.
sealhall74

RedNeck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm To be fair. JB Pritzker has known nothing but a life of privilege. So yeah, pretty disheartening, these are our options.
These two candidates are why all ballots need a "None of the Above - Start Over" box to check.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
RedNeck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm To be fair. JB Pritzker has known nothing but a life of privilege. So yeah, pretty disheartening, these are our options.
These two candidates are why all ballots need a "None of the Above - Start Over" box to check.
There's been a push for ranked-choice voting in some states. With our current lineup of governor candidates, it's started to gain some traction in Illinois.

Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:32 pm
sealhall74 wrote:
There's been a push for ranked-choice voting in some states. With our current lineup of governor candidates, it's started to gain some traction in Illinois.

Didn't mean to overstep my bounds. I know that you built this Message board and moderate it. Honestly, I think I just get so ******* frustrated at the state of our State and the state of our University. Sometimes I like just like to poke the bear. I know traditionally McDonnough County is a Red county. However the majority of the students at Western most likely run Blue).
wiu712

The Fall 2018 Enrollment numbers are in for Northeastern Illinois.

Their total headcount is 8,103 (6,390 undergrads and 1,713 grad students).

The numbers for Fall 2017 were 8,984 (7,113 undergrads and 1,871 grad students).

A breakdown of their Fall 2018 numbers can be find here: https://www.neiu.edu/about/sites/neiu.e ... bles_0.pdf
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 pm Didn't mean to overstep my bounds. I know that you built this Message board and moderate it. Honestly, I think I just get so ******* frustrated at the state of our State and the state of our University. Sometimes I like just like to poke the bear. I know traditionally McDonnough County is a Red county. However the majority of the students at Western most likely run Blue).
Just wanted to head off anything before it gets heated. I feel like there's plenty of places to get people all riled up about politics...twitter..facebook...any number of other sites, no need to do it here.

I'm pretty frustrated too. I just found out today that a friend of mine (employee at WIU) had to take a job over 4 hours away in Missouri because of the situation here. At the end of the school year, his family is joining him down there, which includes my daughter's best friend for the last probably 4-5 years. I'm sad for my friend and heartbroken for my daughter. Ever time I get news like this...someone I know and care about losing their job or having to move away because of the situation...it's like a weekly punch to the gut and I hate it. As far as I am aware, my own job is fairly secure, but it hurts seeing friends and family move away and my town/university/home losing more good and talented people.

You're right that McDonough County is traditionally a Republican county. Probably the majority of the students are Democrats, or at least liberal-leaning, although not all of them can vote here...some vote back home...many don't vote at all outside of "really big" elections.

Point is, I think we're all frustrated, and valid criticisms are valid. I just don't want people getting upset around here and losing people who are regular and friendly visitors, ya know?
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 pm
RedNeck wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 pm Didn't mean to overstep my bounds. I know that you built this Message board and moderate it. Honestly, I think I just get so ******* frustrated at the state of our State and the state of our University. Sometimes I like just like to poke the bear. I know traditionally McDonnough County is a Red county. However the majority of the students at Western most likely run Blue).
Just wanted to head off anything before it gets heated. I feel like there's plenty of places to get people all riled up about politics...twitter..facebook...any number of other sites, no need to do it here.

I'm pretty frustrated too. I just found out today that a friend of mine (employee at WIU) had to take a job over 4 hours away in Missouri because of the situation here. At the end of the school year, his family is joining him down there, which includes my daughter's best friend for the last probably 4-5 years. I'm sad for my friend and heartbroken for my daughter. Ever time I get news like this...someone I know and care about losing their job or having to move away because of the situation...it's like a weekly punch to the gut and I hate it. As far as I am aware, my own job is fairly secure, but it hurts seeing friends and family move away and my town/university/home losing more good and talented people.

You're right that McDonough County is traditionally a Republican county. Probably the majority of the students are Democrats, or at least liberal-leaning, although not all of them can vote here...some vote back home...many don't vote at all outside of "really big" elections.

Point is, I think we're all frustrated, and valid criticisms are valid. I just don't want people getting upset around here and losing people who are regular and friendly visitors, ya know?
Damn, sorry bout your buddies situation. Also thanks for being cool, I should not have tested the water Politically, I honestly have friends that lean either way. We find other stuff to talk about like sports. LOL :D
Western_101

Wait :o Somebody told me this IS a sports board!
wiu712

The Western Illinois University department of Institution Research and Planning announced its Fall 2018 enrollment of 6,778 full-time students and 1,724 part-time students for a combined total of 8,502 enrolled students on both Macomb and Quad City campuses.

This is an 11% decrease from a year ago when 9,441 full-time and part-time students were enrolled during the Fall 2017 semester.

Headline story in today's McDonough County Voice:
Enrollment decline sparks discussion in Faculty Senate.
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2018 ... lty-senate