Attendance Ideas and Solutions

sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 am Looks like there is a Marine Base in Peoria? Is that a large base?
Largest and closest National Guard unit is the Air National Guard out of Peoria. I spent a few weekend there when I was a student at WIU. Probably 250 show up on Drill weekend or at least they did when I was there.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

There's also the Rock Island Arsenal: https://www.army.mil/ria
That's just a bit over an hour and a half away and fairly close to our Quad Cities campus. It's home to the First US Army: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_United_States_Army
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just FYI, I'm going to be meeting with the Assistant Athletic Director for External Engagement and Game Operations, Diane Cassimire, on Monday afternoon. I'll dig back through this thread and try to put together all of the promising ideas that I can pass along to her, but if you have any other suggestions, ideas, or things you'd like me to pass along to them, let me know before then.
Neckfansince71

I for one am really glad that we once again have an Assistant Athletic Director for External Engagement and Game Operations ala Diane Cassimire. Met her at the Homecoming tailgate and it was obvious that she was happy to be back in the midwest. I would love for the athletic department to make available tickets for every school and place of worship in a 60 mile radius of WIU/Macomb at a discounted price for all home games throughout the season. One of the first college football games I attended was San Diego State at NIU as part of the Congregational Church youth group. I watched the game from the top of the west stands. It also gave me my first look at what college was all about. I would try to do the same thing during the mens and women's basketball season. The think the "wheels" are definitely beginning to turn in Western Hall!! ;) jc
Western_101

Maybe with the Visa card incentive.....tier it. Purple=$25 Gold=$50 Platinum=$100. I think tiering is important in that a student that may have missed earlier games do to other commitments or otherwise just "checked out" can still get back on board and earn rewards. Some students that know they have missed too much a couple months in won't even bother then. This helps provide incentive all the way through.

It seems to be pretty successful for credit card companies they reward loyalty. We could spend the money on advertising or go the direct route of simply rewarding loyalty.

The money for this would come from marketing budget and a new category of donation from the Leatherneck Club. Essentially alumni that would like to go to more games but can't in some way use this as a way of a current student being their "proxy". You know what, after awhile theses students will feel a connection to these teams and might actually want to go.
Last edited by Western_101 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neckfansince71

Has anyone taken a look at how NIU is handling lack of student attendance at football games? ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm Has anyone taken a look at how NIU is handling lack of student attendance at football games? ;) jc
More Tuesday night games...I'm sure that'll help ;)
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pmHas anyone taken a look at how NIU is handling lack of student attendance at football games?
Those November "MACtion" games have been a big bust for football attendance. Those games are held on weeknights instead of Saturdays.

This year, NIU has started the Huskies $100's Student Promotion. At Least 10 NIU Students Will Earn $100 at Every Football Game.
https://niuhuskies.com/news/2018/8/27/f ... otion.aspx
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pmHas anyone taken a look at how NIU is handling lack of student attendance at football games?
Those November "MACtion" games have been a big bust for football attendance. Those games are held on weeknights instead of Saturdays.

This year, NIU has started the Huskies $100's Student Promotion. At Least 10 NIU Students Will Earn $100 at Every Football Game.
Putting a 100 bucks into the student's university account does very little to foster good town-gown relationships unless the student ID card can be used to spend those bucks at local retailers. Having off-campus businesses accept student "Dining Dollars" is becoming a popular trend in the country. We need to be moving in that direction. If the concession stands do not accept Dining Dollars and credit cards or smart phone pay app options, we need to go there too.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 am
wiu712 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Putting a 100 bucks into the student's university account does very little to foster good town-gown relationships unless the student ID card can be used to spend those bucks at local retailers. Having off-campus businesses accept student "Dining Dollars" is becoming a popular trend in the country. We need to be moving in that direction. If the concession stands do not accept Dining Dollars and credit cards or smart phone pay app options, we need to go there too.
I think they do now, but not 100% on that. They have "Rocky Dollars" that I think they can use at some locations off campus. If not, you are correct, they should.