CPA - Goldfarb Complex

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

Was talking to someone in the know or in the no the other day and they stated that the money for the Center for the Performing Arts is still in Springfield, waiting to be released by our wonderful Governor. Now I am not going to go out on a limb and say that the release of the money is just around the corner, but I am going to say that it seems that the money was appropriated and it is still there. Anybody have thoughts regarding Capital Project funds? I know the governor was in town last week and a number of people let him and/or his people know how important the project is to Macomb and vicinity. Construction means "life" for a university. ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm Was talking to someone in the know or in the no the other day and they stated that the money for the Center for the Performing Arts is still in Springfield, waiting to be released by our wonderful Governor. Now I am not going to go out on a limb and say that the release of the money is just around the corner, but I am going to say that it seems that the money was appropriated and it is still there. Anybody have thoughts regarding Capital Project funds? I know the governor was in town last week and a number of people let him and/or his people know how important the project is to Macomb and vicinity. Construction means "life" for a university. ;) jc
That sounds pretty much like what I heard back when it looked like the project was going to happen initially. They had the money already "set aside" (I guess they meant it was already appropriated) and that they didn't have the ability to actually take it back. The spending freeze and budget issues meant that it couldn't be released to Western at the time, but I think the allocation is essentially still sitting there waiting to be released to us.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Of course the money that was appropriated is probably now not going to build what was initially designed and planned for with inflation and material costs. But you never know with the way the economy is going what that will mean. ;) jc
wiu712

Western had 903 students graduate on Saturday. Looks like there will be fewer students on campus for the spring semester. The fall enrollment for the Macomb campus was 8,134. But I think about 800 of that number were on-line students.

Budget Director Matt Bierman reports consistent cash flow at Friday's Board of Trustees meeting.
From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2017 ... lcome-news
Tere North

I get that capital development money is a different pot, but there are so many things Western needs more than a performing arts center.
Neckfansince71

There is no argument as far as that is concerned and I am sure when the money is finally released and construction starts that a lot of people will say that too. But the money appropriated for construction of the CPA can only be used for that, period!!! Its your basic take it or leave it proposition and I don't see WIU leaving it after waiting so long in the Capital Funds line! ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:15 pm There is no argument as far as that is concerned and I am sure when the money is finally released and construction starts that a lot of people will say that too. But the money appropriated for construction of the CPA can only be used for that, period!!! Its your basic take it or leave it proposition and I don't see WIU leaving it after waiting so long in the Capital Funds line! ;) jc
But I wonder if there is a legislative way around the long held capital development funds. Perhaps, for example, all approved, but not started, projects will be cancelled.
wiu51

Why is it being called the Goldfarb complex? Did he donate the most money to get it named after himself? If not I wouldn't name it after him. All major projects should be named after the major donor of the project, not an employee just because they worked at the university.
wiu712

Suzi Pritchard Named Director of Marketing.

From WIU News:

Suzi Pritchard, former brand identity and senior account executive for Intel Corporation in Santa Clara, CA, has been named director of University Marketing at Western Illinois University, effective Jan. 8.

Pritchard served as a senior account executive specializing in brand identity for Intel Corporation from 2014-2017. In that role, she served as the brand identity lead to ensure acceleration of the Intel Brand, and led project teams to develop guidelines, graphic assets, logos and more to marketers and agencies, worldwide. Pritchard also developed the strategic framework to redesign and produce all Intel branded product logos.

Previously, she served in various positions at Intel, including global brand design and identity consultant (2008-2013), brand identity strategic design manager (2005-2007), brand identity Intel Education marketing communications manager (2001-2004) and Intel.com IT web operations designer/web developer (1998-2001). Pritchard has worked as a marketing graphic designer for Virgin Games (1996-1998) and marketing multimedia production artist for Ingram Micro (1994-1995).

"We are excited to have Suzi join the Division of Advancement and Public Services, and our marketing team. The knowledge and experience she brings to Western will allow us to further build upon, and refine, the University's brand and to increase awareness of Western among key constituents," said Brad Bainter, vice president for Advancement and Public Services.

Pritchard earned a bachelor's degree from California State University-Fullerton. She is a Certified PMP, Project Manager Professional (Project Management Institute) and a Certified Usability Analyst (Human Factors International).

"I look forward to joining WIU as the Director of University Marketing. This is an exciting opportunity to achieve Western's goals," Pritchard said. "It is privilege to become a part of the WIU family and to deliver first class marketing for Western Illinois University."

Serving both the Macomb and Quad Cities campuses, the director of marketing plans, develops, implements and directs the integrated marketing and institutional branding at the University to increase public awareness of, and support for, the University and enhance WIU's prominence among prospective and current students, alumni and other stakeholders. The director also researches and analyzes current benchmark trends and audience preferences to determine the most appropriate mix of media to promote and present Western Illinois University. The director also evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of the University's marketing/branding efforts using proven methods to obtain data and analytics.
Neckfansince71

ST pointed me to this pdf. this afternoon. It's an example of WIU getting very very serious about getting the CPA funds released by the state of Illinois. I know that there are petitions floating around all over McDonough county and other areas in support of this new building. I am also sure that new and repeated contacts have been made with regional legislators and officials ala the Gov! The pdf. is a great way to illustrate the economic and cultural impact the CPA will have for the WIU/Macomb region.

http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/_documents/C ... raphic.pdf

;) jc