Relocating Western to Moline

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Editorial: WIU should be here (Moline).

From the Quad-City Times:
https://qctimes.com/opinion/editorial/e ... 6d2da.html
vatusay

Building the quad cities campus was such a poor poor poor dumb poor stupid decision. What a waste, and quite possibly, the end of Macomb campus.

I really try not to believe the state would allow this to happen as they would be essentially kill an entire region and leave homeowners stranded with homes worth zilch, zero, nada.

Keeping my fingers crossed this never happens.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 pm Building the quad cities campus was such a poor poor poor dumb poor stupid decision. What a waste, and quite possibly, the end of Macomb campus.

I really try not to believe the state would allow this to happen as they would be essentially kill an entire region and leave homeowners stranded with homes worth zilch, zero, nada.

It's not going to happen. They've tried and tried to get enrollment up at the Quad Cities, but it's just not growing. Too close to NIU and Iowa maybe...idk.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:18 am
vatusay wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 pm Building the quad cities campus was such a poor poor poor dumb poor stupid decision. What a waste, and quite possibly, the end of Macomb campus.

It's not going to happen. They've tried and tried to get enrollment up at the Quad Cities, but it's just not growing. Too close to NIU and Iowa maybe...idk.
Is Deere continuing to sink any money into the Engineering program there? Just from a cursory reading, it seems like they are now a lesser player in the whole venture than is the Arsenal. No way can you compete for entry level students with Black Hawk being so close and about half the cost. The graduate programs have always been a draw (e.g. HS teachers can advance in pay by working toward their masters) but those courses can all be taken online now. Maybe it is time to pull the plug on the whole thing and cut your losses.

That said, if you could magically, with the snap of your fingers, move the entire Macomb campus about 90 miles due north, would you do it? I am pretty sure I would.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

I just hate that Macomb seems to be a sinking ship. It really is a great place to raise a family. Articles like this really make me question selling my property and moving someone here more economically stable.
#ALLIN #YOLO
rocki

vatusay wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am I just hate that Macomb seems to be a sinking ship. It really is a great place to raise a family. Articles like this really make me question selling my property and moving someone here more economically stable.
It seems to be that way, yet NTN and Pella are looking for workers. Pella is moving a line up from KY, and NTN has been going well for a while now. I get that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think there are more jobs in the area than people realize.
Tere North

I'd say sell the QC campus to UofI, use that $$ to come down and fix the Macomb campus. All the promise of 3K enrollment has never happened, just 1K, plus wasted money having faculty drive up and back. Oh, and while we're at it, that would cut some administrative bloat.
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 amI'd say sell the QC campus to the U of I, use that $$ to come down and fix the Macomb campus.
This seems like a wise plan to ensure Western's continuing presence in Macomb.

This area has already seen one college move: Carthage College re-located from near-by Carthage to Kenosha, Wisconsin in the 1960's. Some of the old Carthage College buildings are in use on the east end of Carthage. Others sit empty.
Guitart

I think some old habits die hard in the QC. Many kids and adults default to choosing St. Ambrose. I looked into SAU and it was way too pricey for a guy who was changing careers to become a teacher. I did not want to be in debt for years to come. I contacted WIU, visited the Macomb campus, met with dept. chair. All was good news. PLUS the added benefit of knocking out a few required course at the convenient QC campus. I also chose WIU because I felt getting my teaching credentials from a larger school would look better on my resume, in case I chose to relocate. I wish more QC residents would take advantage of WIU.

As far as campuses.. I enjoyed the classic college experience of the campus activity and feel of Macomb. Students walking everywhere wearing school colors, sidewalk chalk ads, student run stands promoting something. It felt like college. QC looks neat but It feels more like you are visiting a corporate HQ.
Western_101

Tere North wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 am I'd say sell the QC campus to UofI, use that $$ to come down and fix the Macomb campus. All the promise of 3K enrollment has never happened, just 1K, plus wasted money having faculty drive up and back. Oh, and while we're at it, that would cut some administrative bloat.
This.