could the valley be a 2 bid league.

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherneckcountry

So looking at the teams records in the valley it's not far fetched to think there could be so many 6-5 teams that only 2 valley teams end up with a better record than 6-5 this is the one negative to such a balanced conference.
sealhall74

The CAA and Big Sky already have a bunch of 6 win teams so several of them are likely to get to 8 wins. So to answer your question, yes the Valley could be a 2 bid conference which is still a whole lot better than a "2 bit" conference. We have to not only win out but win big similar to yesterday to let the committee know we are really trending up at end of season.
Embrace the pace of the race.
OldHare

Illinois State at UNI next week could very well define the Panthers future for the playoffs. ISUr still could finish 7-4 with a loss. The Leathernecks have their future in control by winning out. SDSU needs to win out for a sniff of a seed. 4 or 5 MVFC teams could be considered if UNI and WIU win their remaining games. The schedule appears to have 3 teams with a worst case scenario. I would certainly agree that 6-5 teams stay home this year. Upsets are part of the season as MoSt showed ISUr.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

OldHare wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:31 am Illinois State at UNI next week could very well define the Panthers future for the playoffs. ISUr still could finish 7-4 with a loss. The Leathernecks have their future in control by winning out. SDSU needs to win out for a sniff of a seed. 4 or 5 MVFC teams could be considered if UNI and WIU win their remaining games. The schedule appears to have 3 teams with a worst case scenario. I would certainly agree that 6-5 teams stay home this year. Upsets are part of the season as MoSt showed ISUr.
Yup, here's a really good breakdown of MVFC teams: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ost2698546
And here's a look at the entire FCS: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ost2698924
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

WIU, UNI, and ISU have to win out to get 7 D-I wins. Really pulling for UNI next week :D
meganeck

Hero Sports has a playoff breakdown and 2 out of the 3 writers has WIU in the playoffs, The 3rd has them as one as 1st 3 out.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:27 pm Hero Sports has a playoff breakdown and 2 out of the 3 writers has WIU in the playoffs, The 3rd has them as one as 1st 3 out.
I think it's really a matter of if the writer thinks we'll drop a game or not. 3 games left...technically favored in all 3 (according to Massey)...but they're close enough that the system is projecting 2-1 to finish the season.
We go 3-0, finish 7-4 and having won our last 5 games in a row...we're in.
We go 2-1, finish 6-5...I don't think we make it in.

Ideally, if Montana and Montana State could win out (except for the last game...they play each other) and if Illinois could win like....a game....that'd be nice.
sealhall74

Cuirrently, we are sitting in the number 2 slot IF you resolve conference record ties via the transitive property of inequality (i.e. if a < b and b < c, then a < c). That knowledge and a quarter will get you a gumball at the barbershop. ;)

1 North Dakota State 6-0
2 Western Illinois 4-2
3 Northern Iowa 4-2
4 South Dakota State 4-2
5 Indiana State 3-3
6 Youngstown State 2-4
7 South Dakota 2-4
8 Missouri State 2-4
9 Illinois State 2-4
10 Southern Illinois 1-5
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 pm Cuirrently, we are sitting in the number 2 slot IF you resolve conference record ties via the transitive property of inequality (i.e. if a < b and b < c, then a < c). That knowledge and a quarter will get you a gumball at the barbershop. ;)

1 North Dakota State 6-0
2 Western Illinois 4-2
3 Northern Iowa 4-2
4 South Dakota State 4-2
5 Indiana State 3-3
6 Youngstown State 2-4
7 South Dakota 2-4
8 Missouri State 2-4
9 Illinois State 2-4
10 Southern Illinois 1-5
Here's the official league tiebreaking policy: https://valley-football.org/news/2011/7 ... h=football
It gets kinda tricky to parse down into the details. I'm not quite sure what happens if WIU, UNI, and SDSU all end up with the same conference record and with WIU beating UNI, UNI beating SDSU, and SDSU and WIU not playing, but maybe some of you who are smarter than I can figure it out.
sealhall74

I went through the tie-breaking stuff before making my previous post. Upon a first pass, I think SDSU has one less loss against common opponents so they would earn the 2 slot that way. We would get the 3 spot by virtue of our head to head win over UNI. But I need to double check my work before I will sign off on it. The list I posted earlier is the current standings for determining the ultimate winner of the pre-season poll in lthe pickem contest way back in week 1.