WIU at South Dakota (11/10/2018)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image

Game Time: 1:00 PM on Saturday, November 10th
Location: H. Lauren Lewis Field at the DakotaDome, Vermillion, SD[/url]
Weather:
(although it's in a dome, so weather doesn't really matter unless you're going up to do some tailgating beforehand)
ImageImage

TV/Radio:
TV/Streaming: ESPN+
Radio: WRMS 94.3 (Beardstown), WJEQ 102.7 (Macomb)
Streaming Audio - wrmsfm.com, WRMS on Tunein.com

About the Coyotes
South Dakota is 3-6 overall with a 2-4 conference record. They started the season with a close loss at FBS K-State, a win at Northern Colorado, then a loss at Weber State. In the MVFC, they beat SIU and MSU both by 7, lost to UNI by 14, lost at YSU by 12, back home against NDSU where they got beat by 45, and then back on the road in a loss at Indiana State that took 3 OT periods to resolve last weekend.
In conference games, they have the second-best passing offense, but are second-to-last in rushing yards. They average 28.8 points per game on offense, and are last in the league in points allowed, giving up 38.8 against MVFC teams. Their pass defense is about average for the conference, but they're giving up 248.3 ypg on the ground. They're also really good at getting 1st downs to keep moving the chains. QB Austin Simmons nets 280 ypg through the air with 9 TDs and 4 INTs and has 24 ypg on the ground with 1 rushing TD. WR Dakarai Allen is #3 in the conference with 90 ypg and 3 TDs, and RB Kai Henry leads the team with 56 ypg and 5 TDs rushing. Henry also handles kick returns, and is #2 in the conference at that, averaging 28 yards per return. The defensive leaders are the Gray Twins: Andrew (DB) and Alex (LB). Andrew is #8 in the MVFC with 9 tackles per game and Alex is #15 with 7.7 per game. DB Mark Collins leads the conference in defended passes with 2.4 per game. DL Darin Greenfield and Andrew Gray have both forced 2 fumbles in the 6 conference games and Greenfield also picks up 1 tackle for loss per game. Punter Brady Schutt averages 42.2 yards per punt on 35 punts with 8 inside the 20.

Series History:
WIU has played South Dakota 8 times starting with a H&H series back in '76 & '77. It started back up in 2012 and has been played every year since. WIU leads the series 5-3, with the two losses being the first two games back in the '70s and last year's hearbreaker at Homecoming. WIU won 5 in a row from 2012-2016 and has won the last three meetings at USD.

Common Opponents:
Southern Illinois - WIU won by 3, USD won by 7, difference of +4 to USD
Missouri State - WIU won by 17, USD won by 7, difference of +10 to WIU
Northern Iowa - WIU won by 20, USD lost by 14, difference of +34 to WIU
Youngstown State - WIU won by 7, USD lost by 12, difference of +19 to WIU
North Dakota State - WIU lost by 27, USD lost by 45, difference of +18 to WIU
Average difference - +15.4 for WIU

Predictions:
Massey - 34-31 WIU win
CompughterRatings.com - 34-31 WIU win
Sagarin - ~6 point WIU win

Rankings:
Sagarin (out of all DI teams): WIU 120, SIU 143
Massey Ratings: WIU 13, USD 38

My Take
Another week, another likely tough road game against a team with really nothing left to lose at this point. I fully expect USD to throw everything they have at us. We have one of the best defenses in the country in terms of yardage allowed, we just have to limit turnovers and work on the field position battle...seems like we often are starting backed up against the goal line. We got lucky last weekend with SIU essentially spotting us 60 yards on the game-tying drive, but we can't count on that happening every game...need to handle things ourselves and not rely on mental mistakes from the other team. This will be the final year that Coach Nielson's recruits are on the team, so they'll be looking to get a big win as a "farewell present" and I'm sure most of them remember last year's record-breaking and heart-breaking loss at Homecoming (Aklin set all kinds of single-game receiving records, but we still lost 38-33)...they'll want a bit of revenge for that. If the McGuire can cut down on throwing the interceptions a bit, we should come away with a win. I'm thinking 32-24 for the Leathernecks.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

I hope the 'Necks kick butt and take names. It's not going to be an easy game at all, but I really, really, really, want this win. Yes, Mr. Nielsen still makes my blood boil with the way he lied to the team and I'd like to see the ones that were here when he still was rub his nose in it. :twisted:
Western_101

rocki wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:35 pm I hope the 'Necks kick butt and take names. It's not going to be an easy game at all, but I really, really, really, want this win. Yes, Mr. Nielsen still makes my blood boil with the way he lied to the team and I'd like to see the ones that were here when he still was rub his nose in it. :twisted:
I second this sentiment.
vatusay

Please beat Bobby.
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU2DC

rocki wrote:I hope the 'Necks kick butt and take names. It's not going to be an easy game at all, but I really, really, really, want this win. Yes, Mr. Nielsen still makes my blood boil with the way he lied to the team and I'd like to see the ones that were here when he still was rub his nose in it. :twisted:
I also concur with this statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Western_101

Bob Nielson = Lie to young men that respect and trust you and tell them that you are here to stay.

Bob Nielson = Exit town as inconspicuously as possible (night time is always good).

Bob Nielson = What in so many ways is wrong with our Country and represents a total lack of respect for moral character and obligations and promises.

The whole world seems to pretend to be offended by everything but in the era of Trumponiasm, do and say what adavances your own selfish wants, one not even bother being gracious to a former employer or explain your decision to young men recruited that gave you their D-I eligibility "Clock".

Dear Lord, I ramble, The man was an Asshole. comprende?

WESTERN beat the FIGHTING cowards er coyotes.
Western_101

One other pont obnoxious USD fans that haven't won Squat. The guy that carried your team couldn't even make the NFL.

Blue Bombers is pretty stout but WIU has been there done that.

Russ Michna (Blue Bomber)

USD is an inferiority complex on amphetamines.
Last edited by Western_101 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

RedNeck wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 pm Bob Nielson = Lie to young men that respect and trust you and tell them that you are here to stay.

Bob Nielson = Exit town as inconspicuously as possible (night time is always good).

Bob Nielson = What in so many ways is wrong with our Country and represents a total lack of respect for moral character and obligations and promises.

The whole world seems to pretend to be offended by everything but in the era of Trumponiasm, do and say what adavances your own selfish wants, one not even bother being gracious to a former employer or explain your decision to young men recruited that gave you their D-I eligibility "Clock".

And historically, he also has some trouble winning without a very athletic QB.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

RedNeck wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 pm Bob Nielson = Lie to young men that respect and trust you and tell them that you are here to stay.

Insert Charlie Fisher... Sat across the table from several recruits saying he wasn't going anywhere. Then a couple weeks later, off to the desert.
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:

Insert Charlie Fisher... Sat across the table from several recruits saying he wasn't going anywhere. Then a couple weeks later, off to the desert.

Yep, he wasn’t any better. Not only that but he took a coordinator job too. At least Nielson took a HC job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk