WIU vs Indiana State (11/17/2018) - Senior Day

Western_101

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:59 pm We can blame coaching all we want but personal fouls are on the player this has been an issue for the last 3 yrs to many stupid penalty's.
Yes! Didn't you know leatherneckcountry that the team that gets the most penalty yards is the winner! So we're what 11-0 for that. I mean we should get some kind of trophy for that kind of commitment. It takes a lot of hard work to learn how to be so conditioned to be undisciplined.
Leatherneck309

That was a tough one to lose. So many what ifs will be haunting. That block in the back was such a bad mental decision and most certainly would have changed the outcome.

Feel bad for the seniors. That defense greatly improved over the last couple seasons and they played well enough to win today and last week. Saunders and Swenson are leaving two huge holes to fill.

The whole season seems like a lot of what ifs. Missed fg's, senseless penalties, bad mental decisions, horrific play calling, and poor execution repeated itself all season. Montana St game like the IN St game should have been a win. USD is one of only a couple games I have missed the last 5 years but it sounds like much of the same. I couldn't even post after the 2nd half debacle of the ISUr game. Flip those 4 games and you are top 10. Win half and you get a favorable matchup in the playoffs.

I feel like this team never reached its potential and unfortunately they can never get that back.
Western_101

Leatherneck309 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:12 pm That was a tough one to lose. So many what ifs will be haunting. That block in the back was such a bad mental decision and most certainly would have changed the outcome.

Feel bad for the seniors. That defense greatly improved over the last couple seasons and they played well enough to win today and last week. Saunders and Swenson are leaving two huge holes to fill.

The whole season seems like a lot of what ifs. Missed fg's, senseless penalties, bad mental decisions, horrific play calling, and poor execution repeated itself all season. Montana St game like the IN St game should have been a win. USD is one of only a couple games I have missed the last 5 years but it sounds like much of the same. I couldn't even post after the 2nd half debacle of the ISUr game. Flip those 4 games and you are top 10. Win half and you get a favorable matchup in the playoffs.

I feel like this team never reached its potential and unfortunately they can never get that back.
This is a very accurate account of what has unfolded this season. Squandered opportunity, Inconsistent play, stupid penalty one after the next and just not very good play calling at times.

Well stated Leatherneck309.
wiu712

The radio guys were critical of some of the play-calling in the 4th qr.

Eight Western penalties for 90 yards. Only two penalties for Indiana State.

Western was 3 for 13 on third downs. Indiana State was 7 for 15.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 1,813.
wiu712

Self-inflicted wounds cost WIU in season finale.
From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... son-finale

From the Terre Haute Tribune-Star:
Coach Mallory’s steady hand got INSU to precipice of playoffs.
https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_c ... 4bf8e.html

Nunez boot has ISU dreaming of FCS playoffs.
https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_c ... 0a370.html
wiu712

It was a cold and wet afternoon at Hanson Field.
leatherneckcountry

The worst part about this loss is that we got a lot of help from other teams in the country and didn’t do anything about it and the cover is pretty bare for the next few years
wiu712

Sad way to end the season with the disappointing outcomes in the last two games.

But we have to remember that the team was a pre-season pick for 7th place in the conference. They actually finished the year in 5th place.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am Sad way to end the season with the disappointing outcomes in the last two games.

But we have to remember that the team was a pre-season pick for 7th place in the conference. They actually finished the year in 5th place.
We were favored in all 3 games to end the season and played lousy football on the offensive side of the ball in all 3. Were lucky to squeak by with one win. All of this right after putting together our best effort by far against a good UNI team at home. Something went wrong somewhere during this stretch. Maybe we were just too banged up to get it done. So Johnson gets the call to replace Norris and he does not get a single touch that I can remember and Ratkovich had no touches in the first half IIRC. We need to do some deep soul searching going forward.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

Yeah, I think I’m pretty worried for the upcoming year(s). We obviously have to replace major players at key positions. I’m hoping Elliot gets on the recruiting road today and starts looking towards 2019. I’ll be at the Colorado State game next year and I’d prefer we don’t get blown out by a bad FBS program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk