2018/2019 Roster Changes

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

As is usual for this time of year, a few players (not seniors) will be leaving the program and a few incoming transfers. This thread is to discuss that stuff...players that don't fall under your typical "senior in HS, getting an offer"-type of situation.

First off, it looks like Josh Shodipo (freshman DB from Oswego) will be transferring out. Shodipo did not participate in any games this season, as near as I can tell.

Also, an incoming transfer that was mentioned in the recruiting thread: Damon Bonds, RB from St. Louis, MO (by way of Fort Scott CC). It looks like he went to HS with current WIU DB Andre Whitley (at Chaminade College Prep).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RB Isaiah Cherrier also pursuing opportunities elsewhere:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Lavall McNulty, R-So. LB from Crete, IL
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Fawaz Ayoola, R-Fr. O-Line from Chicago
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just to be clear, I don't know if these guys leaving are because of personal reasons, wanting more playing time, or maybe they just didn't get offered scholarships going forward....I don't really know.
rocki

Maybe this is the first time for a topic like this to be posted rather than a "here and there" so-and-so's leaving, but it sure seems like we're losing a lot of kids. Certainly hope we can get great talent to replace them.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 am Maybe this is the first time for a topic like this to be posted rather than a "here and there" so-and-so's leaving, but it sure seems like we're losing a lot of kids. Certainly hope we can get great talent to replace them.
I've had topics posted like this before...always wrestled with whether I should post stuff like this or not, but I figure that it's better to know when it happens than to get into the season and be like "hey...where's that guy?" If I'm wrong on that though, let me know and I won't bring it up.

It does seem like there's a few more than usual leaving. I don't really know if there's a reason for it...whether it was the kids' decisions or the coaches not offering scholarships for some kids who didn't seem willing to work as hard, or what. Maybe they were all working incredibly hard but things just didn't work out for some reason.

I do know that we've also been putting out quite a few offers lately too, just FYI. With a lot of our top players on both sides of the ball graduating (or being done with eligibility), I wonder if we're kinda moving to a "rebuilding mode" for a year or so.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:44 am
rocki wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 am Maybe this is the first time for a topic like this to be posted rather than a "here and there" so-and-so's leaving, but it sure seems like we're losing a lot of kids. Certainly hope we can get great talent to replace them.
I've had topics posted like this before...always wrestled with whether I should post stuff like this or not, but I figure that it's better to know when it happens than to get into the season and be like "hey...where's that guy?" If I'm wrong on that though, let me know and I won't bring it up.

It does seem like there's a few more than usual leaving. I don't really know if there's a reason for it...whether it was the kids' decisions or the coaches not offering scholarships for some kids who didn't seem willing to work as hard, or what. Maybe they were all working incredibly hard but things just didn't work out for some reason.

I do know that we've also been putting out quite a few offers lately too, just FYI. With a lot of our top players on both sides of the ball graduating (or being done with eligibility), I wonder if we're kinda moving to a "rebuilding mode" for a year or so.
Not complaining about it being posted - I like the idea of knowing who will be leaving. Just saying I might have missed a lot earlier since there was no dedicated post to roster changes. Wonder if we'll be doing a throwback to the era where we brought in a lot of transfers from bigger programs that wanted a chance to play rather than sit out?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 am Not complaining about it being posted - I like the idea of knowing who will be leaving. Just saying I might have missed a lot earlier since there was no dedicated post to roster changes. Wonder if we'll be doing a throwback to the era where we brought in a lot of transfers from bigger programs that wanted a chance to play rather than sit out?
We might get a few of those, but also if you look at who we have in some areas already...where we have youth at positions...some of those guys probably won't be playing much over the next few years anyway. I'm hoping we'll see some of the offers that have gone out lately end up signing with us too.
leatherneckcountry

There's a roster change thread every year.