2018/2019 Roster Changes

rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am There's a roster change thread every year.
My mistake. I'd caught leavings here and there, but this is the first time I remembered seeing a dedicated thread.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am There's a roster change thread every year.
My mistake. I'd caught leavings here and there, but this is the first time I remembered seeing a dedicated thread.
No problem. I don't expect everyone to catch every thread that happens around here.

I can't find the last year or two's ones, but here's from 2015, just for reference: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=769&start=10
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU11DC

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:43 pm RB Isaiah Cherrier also pursuing opportunities elsewhere:

curious to know if this is happening because of the jr college transfer that gave us his verbal.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:44 am
rocki wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 am Maybe this is the first time for a topic like this to be posted rather than a "here and there" so-and-so's leaving, but it sure seems like we're losing a lot of kids. Certainly hope we can get great talent to replace them.
I've had topics posted like this before...always wrestled with whether I should post stuff like this or not, but I figure that it's better to know when it happens than to get into the season and be like "hey...where's that guy?" If I'm wrong on that though, let me know and I won't bring it up.

It does seem like there's a few more than usual leaving. I don't really know if there's a reason for it...whether it was the kids' decisions or the coaches not offering scholarships for some kids who didn't seem willing to work as hard, or what. Maybe they were all working incredibly hard but things just didn't work out for some reason.

I do know that we've also been putting out quite a few offers lately too, just FYI. With a lot of our top players on both sides of the ball graduating (or being done with eligibility), I wonder if we're kinda moving to a "rebuilding mode" for a year or so.
Scott, thanks for doing this and posting these. It looks like you are getting these from their Twitter accounts, so its out there not like you are publishing info that isn't out there.

I thought so also it seems like it is a lot of kids leaving, maybe they just see the writing on the wall and don't see a path for them to see the field anytime soon. If you hear where they are going i would be interested in including that info down the road also.
Neckfansince71

Not sure its more than other years or less. Seems to me that there are student athletes who realize they are going to have to wait to play even if they red-shirted this year. Even early commits come and go as we have seen in the past. In the end, we want players who want to be Leathernecks! ;) jc
sealhall74

I have always wondered how the following question would be answered by today's college athletes:

Would you rather get minimal playing time for a conference champion or be a starter on a .500 or below team? Not an easy one to answer, especially when you throw in the fact that many athletes get far less than a full ride to cover the cost of their education.

My gut says it would be about 50-50. What do you all think?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I think 50/50 is about right. Another interesting question would be, "how do you feel about it 5, 10, 15, or 20" years later. Time not only heals all, but it also allows one to develop and tell stories. My senior year in high school we went 5-20. It was a long long season but my highlight was scoring 7 points in the fourth quarter against cross town rival Crown, including a twisting reverse layup which turned out to be the winning margin in the Dundee Community High School win. That night meant all the difference in the world for me. I am not sure a conference championship with me sitting on the pines would have had the same effect memory wise! ;) jc
GV Dad

https://tribeathletics.com/news/2018/11 ... staff.aspx

Coach Zidenberg leaving for William & Mary. He's from Virginia, so closer to home for him and his family. Wish him well.
tjk1985

Also, going to have to find a new placekicker. Sam Crosa transferring, too.
WIU11DC

tjk1985 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm Also, going to have to find a new placekicker. Sam Crosa transferring, too.
damn, I am curios to know why he is. He saw the field a lot. Can WIU restrict where these players transfer to? Or can they transfer to someone in the MVFC?