2018/2019 Roster Changes

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU11DC wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm
tjk1985 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm Also, going to have to find a new placekicker. Sam Crosa transferring, too.
damn, I am curios to know why he is. He saw the field a lot. Can WIU restrict where these players transfer to? Or can they transfer to someone in the MVFC?
Athletes have the ability to transfer anywhere they want. Depending on their status and where they transfer, they may have to sit out a season before playing. If he has finished his undergrad degree, he can do a "grad transfer" and go to any school without sitting out a year. If he has not completed his undergrad degree, I believe he can transfer "down" (DII or DIII) without sitting out a year, but if he transfers within the same division or up (FCS->FCS or FCS->FBS) then he has to sit out a year. I'm pretty sure this is how things are, although a few of the rules have changed within the last few years to allow more flexibility for the student (I think they removed the ability of the school to "block" a transfer though).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 pm
WIU11DC wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm
tjk1985 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm Also, going to have to find a new placekicker. Sam Crosa transferring, too.
damn, I am curios to know why he is. He saw the field a lot. Can WIU restrict where these players transfer to? Or can they transfer to someone in the MVFC?
Athletes have the ability to transfer anywhere they want. Depending on their status and where they transfer, they may have to sit out a season before playing. If he has finished his undergrad degree, he can do a "grad transfer" and go to any school without sitting out a year. If he has not completed his undergrad degree, I believe he can transfer "down" (DII or DIII) without sitting out a year, but if he transfers within the same division or up (FCS->FCS or FCS->FBS) then he has to sit out a year. I'm pretty sure this is how things are, although a few of the rules have changed within the last few years to allow more flexibility for the student (I think they removed the ability of the school to "block" a transfer though).
Considering he transferred to WIU I would guess he graduated
meganeck

i would think he is probably a grad transfer too and if he is I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a FBS school, he is good enough.

They still have Erickson for another year correct? he is listed as a junior, plus looks like there is a Freshman kicker listed on the roster.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm
i would think he is probably a grad transfer too and if he is I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a FBS school, he is good enough.

They still have Erickson for another year correct? he is listed as a junior, plus looks like there is a Freshman kicker listed on the roster.
Yeah, Erickson will be a Senior...he can do placekicking too. Has a strong leg, but I think maybe not quite as accurate (they'd put him in on the long FG attempts usually).
The freshman is Luis Torres, a multi-sport athlete (football, soccer, swimming, and volleyball) from Blue Island, IL (south suburbs of Chicago): https://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=17068

Seems like we've always had luck with kickers who were also soccer players (I know Justin Langan did both at WIU).
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sam Crosa is getting his degree from WIU in May and will be taking advantage of the "grad transfer" rule to spend his final year at Cincinnati (he's from Dublin, OH...a suburb of Columbus).
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

In case anyone is curious, Brandon Gaston is going to be staying in the area, going to Quincy University.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am In case anyone is curious, Brandon Gaston is going to be staying in the area, going to Quincy University.
i would think he will dominate at that level