New Direction

Tere North

LocalYokelFan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 am Crazy idea (and yet WIU did it in soccer... and golf...and track & field)... hand the reigns over to JD and Seth. Let them be basketball operations for both squads. We at least know those 2 can coach and develop players. I understand that there are a multitude of reasons why that wouldn't work, but at the same time I can't convince myself why it couldn't work either!
I wouldn't say it is working well for soccer though. Both teams have gone downhill. And the AD has nixed the idea of doing both for Golf, despite desire by the men and willingness by Coach Lia.
LocalYokelFan

Tere North wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm
LocalYokelFan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 am Crazy idea (and yet WIU did it in soccer... and golf...and track & field)... hand the reigns over to JD and Seth. Let them be basketball operations for both squads. We at least know those 2 can coach and develop players. I understand that there are a multitude of reasons why that wouldn't work, but at the same time I can't convince myself why it couldn't work either!
I wouldn't say it is working well for soccer though. Both teams have gone downhill. And the AD has nixed the idea of doing both for Golf, despite desire by the men and willingness by Coach Lia.
This could be fun for me because I think I could come up with a "TRUE...., BUT..." statement for any argument someone throws at this.

TRUE, it hasn't worked out great for soccer thusfar, BUT, I'm not sure Coach Johnson has had as talented of an assistant/associate coach as Coach Minter. At the same time I do get it, you're spreading those coaching resources between two teams instead of one, which you'd figure would naturally take away from the success they've had with just the WBB program. I'm just in agreement with many of you that something needs to change on the MBB side and there aren't exactly a lot of resources to make something big happen. King Solomon would have a challenge figuring this one out.

Also, I have a weird feeling EJ climbs atop "The Summit" again, so I'm not writing that experiment off yet.
Tere North

LocalYokelFan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm
Tere North wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm
This could be fun for me because I think I could come up with a "TRUE...., BUT..." statement for any argument someone throws at this.

TRUE, it hasn't worked out great for soccer thusfar, BUT, I'm not sure Coach Johnson has had as talented of an assistant/associate coach as Coach Minter. At the same time I do get it, you're spreading those coaching resources between two teams instead of one, which you'd figure would naturally take away from the success they've had with just the WBB program. I'm just in agreement with many of you that something needs to change on the MBB side and there aren't exactly a lot of resources to make something big happen. King Solomon would have a challenge figuring this one out.

Also, I have a weird feeling EJ climbs atop "The Summit" again, so I'm not writing that experiment off yet.
Women's success started with bringing in a D2 head coach with an up-tempo style game. It is NOT exciting to watch a 40-38 win. It IS exciting to watch a 98-96 win. Heck, it is even more exciting to watch a 98-96 loss than to watch a 40-38 win. So please, do not go back to a Coach Mo offensive. Take a D2 head coach with success who wants to move up the ranks and is relatively local and believes in coaching the players you have, not forcing players into your mold.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am Women's success started with bringing in a D2 head coach with an up-tempo style game. It is NOT exciting to watch a 40-38 win. It IS exciting to watch a 98-96 win. Heck, it is even more exciting to watch a 98-96 loss than to watch a 40-38 win. So please, do not go back to a Coach Mo offensive. Take a D2 head coach with success who wants to move up the ranks and is relatively local and believes in coaching the players you have, not forcing players into your mold.
I don't disagree with that assessment. Here's a few ideas (starting with my personal preference):

Matt Margenthaler - current HC at Minnesota State - Mankato (since 2001): https://msumavericks.com/coaches.aspx?r ... ath=mbball
His name was tossed around some (but he apparently wasn't contacted by Western) when Molinari left. Son of former WIU HC Jack Margenthaler, Matt has a 375-153 record in his 17 years at MSU (.710), and was conference coach of the year in '06, '07, '08, '10, '11, and '14. Matt is a Macomb native who graduated from WIU in 1991 and played for the Leathernecks during the 89/90 season. He also was an assistant coach at South Dakota State for a few years prior to taking over at MSU.
Article from 2014 when Molinari left WIU: http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/ ... 0998c.html
Regarding his current contract: http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/ ... 737b1.html
Minnesota State is currently #46 in DII in scoring offense with 83.8 ppg and are 12-4 so far this season

Jeff Boschee - current HC at Missouri Southern State (since 2014): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Boschee
Originally from North Dakota, played at Kansas then in Europe and US minor league teams for a few years.
Missouri Southern is 76-45 in his time as HC, is #21 in DII in scoring offense with 87.5 ppg currently.

Chris Johnson - current HC at University of Sioux Falls (since 2008): https://usfcougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=568&path=mbball
In 10 years as HC, he has a 176-132 overall record (.571) with 5 20-win seasons and only 2 sub-.500 seasons. Prior to being at USF, he was an assistant coach at North Dakota, and before that was HC for a year at Culver-Stockton College. Originally played at Central College in Pella, IA.
USF is currently 12-4 this season and is averaging 80.2 ppg.

Any other names you guys want to toss out there?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

I've wanted to start this post for a few weeks now, but every time I lost all motivation, so thanks Leathernecks1. This is a tough gig for anyone, but we've had teams over the years with less talent or half the team injured and similar outcomes. Something is majorly broke and worse than usual, so the first change needs to letting Billy go the end of the year. There needs to be a change in hopes it can spark new life into the program. If not, it tells me the athletic department is weak or doesn't care.

Here's my 2 cents on our new direction. Knowing we're not going to get another Molinari (established winner), I say we go the route of many programs in not just college basketball, but college football, now the NFL and MLB. Someone young who's not set in their ways, that can still connect with players and thinks a little bit more creatively. Look at MLB, we're seeing a lot of former players with limited to no coaching experience take over, so lets give it a shot.

Ceola Clark would be my first pick. Right now we have a very low bar, so the expectations can't ruin him year one. He has Chicago connections, he's been working with players and doing some coaching, he's one of the few people in the last 20 years to come through this program and experience winning. He'd need to build his staff with people he trusts and maybe ones who've been around the block with coaching experience to help with the structure. Maybe even add and extra staff member in Covington, if he decides to not go back to playing after he recovers from his injury. Probably do it for very little money to get the experience and help WIU.

Just a thought, but would love to see us go that direction and I'll throw David Nurse out there as well. And yes, I know hiring your former starts doesn't typically pan out, but we need to do something and WIU will not be on the radar for any legit assistants or head coaches looking for jobs.
Last edited by letsgonecks on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

Damn, y'all way ahead of me. I am still trying to decide if it is worth making the trip to Sioux Falls this year. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 am Damn, y'all way ahead of me. I am still trying to decide if it is worth making the trip to Sioux Falls this year. :lol:

But if we are going with CC, then let's get TP as well.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western Men's Basketball may have reached an all-time low last night when only 426 people showed up at Western Hall for a conference game.

It was not that long ago when big crowds would show up to watch Ceola Clark and Terell Parks.
leatherneckcountry

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 am I've wanted to start this post for a few weeks now, but every time I lost all motivation, so thanks Leathernecks1. This is a tough gig for anyone, but we've had teams over the years with less talent or half the team injured and similar outcomes. Something is majorly broke and worse than usual, so the first change needs to letting Billy go the end of the year. There needs to be a change in hopes it can spark new life into the program. If not, it tells me the athletic department is weak or doesn't care.

Here's my 2 cents on our new direction. Knowing we're not going to get another Molinari (established winner), I say we go the route of many programs in not just college basketball, but college football, now the NFL and MLB. Someone young who's not set in their ways, that can still connect with players and thinks a little bit more creatively. Look at MLB, we're seeing a lot of former players with limited to no coaching experience take over, so lets give it a shot.

Ceola Clark would be my first pick. Right now we have a very low bar, so the expectations can't ruin him year one. He has Chicago connections, he's been working with players and doing some coaching, he's one of the few people in the last 20 years to come through this program and experience winning. He'd need to build his staff with people he trusts and maybe ones who've been around the block with coaching experience to help with the structure. Maybe even add and extra staff member in Covington, if he decides to not go back to playing after he recovers from his injury. Probably do it for very little money to get the experience and help WIU.

Just a thought, but would love to see us go that direction and I'll throw David Nurse out there as well. And yes, I know hiring your former starts doesn't typically pan out, but we need to do something and WIU will not be on the radar for any legit assistants or head coaches looking for jobs.
My concern with Ceola is that it would be just the same thing as what we’re currently running personally I prefer a coach who doesn’t have Mo ties just my preference
leatherneckcountry

Ben McCollum North western Missouri St career 203-75 and 16-0 this season.