New Direction

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 pm Ben McCollum North western Missouri St career 203-75 and 16-0 this season.
I thought about him too, but McCollum is a NW Mo State alum, played ball there, was a grad assistant there. Went to Emporia State for a few years then came back and took over the program. Looks like a great coach, but seems like it might be tough to get him away from "home".
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

LocalYokelFan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 am Crazy idea (and yet WIU did it in soccer... and golf...and track & field)... hand the reigns over to JD and Seth. Let them be basketball operations for both squads. We at least know those 2 can coach and develop players. I understand that there are a multitude of reasons why that wouldn't work, but at the same time I can't convince myself why it couldn't work either!
No way this happens and I assume you realize that also, but if for some reason they would decide to do it, then they should just drop basketball.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:11 am
Tere North wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am Women's success started with bringing in a D2 head coach with an up-tempo style game. It is NOT exciting to watch a 40-38 win. It IS exciting to watch a 98-96 win. Heck, it is even more exciting to watch a 98-96 loss than to watch a 40-38 win. So please, do not go back to a Coach Mo offensive. Take a D2 head coach with success who wants to move up the ranks and is relatively local and believes in coaching the players you have, not forcing players into your mold.
I don't disagree with that assessment. Here's a few ideas (starting with my personal preference):

Matt Margenthaler - current HC at Minnesota State - Mankato (since 2001): https://msumavericks.com/coaches.aspx?r ... ath=mbball
His name was tossed around some (but he apparently wasn't contacted by Western) when Molinari left. Son of former WIU HC Jack Margenthaler, Matt has a 375-153 record in his 17 years at MSU (.710), and was conference coach of the year in '06, '07, '08, '10, '11, and '14. Matt is a Macomb native who graduated from WIU in 1991 and played for the Leathernecks during the 89/90 season. He also was an assistant coach at South Dakota State for a few years prior to taking over at MSU.
Article from 2014 when Molinari left WIU: http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/ ... 0998c.html
Regarding his current contract: http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/ ... 737b1.html
Minnesota State is currently #46 in DII in scoring offense with 83.8 ppg and are 12-4 so far this season

Jeff Boschee - current HC at Missouri Southern State (since 2014): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Boschee
Originally from North Dakota, played at Kansas then in Europe and US minor league teams for a few years.
Missouri Southern is 76-45 in his time as HC, is #21 in DII in scoring offense with 87.5 ppg currently.

Chris Johnson - current HC at University of Sioux Falls (since 2008): https://usfcougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=568&path=mbball
In 10 years as HC, he has a 176-132 overall record (.571) with 5 20-win seasons and only 2 sub-.500 seasons. Prior to being at USF, he was an assistant coach at North Dakota, and before that was HC for a year at Culver-Stockton College. Originally played at Central College in Pella, IA.
USF is currently 12-4 this season and is averaging 80.2 ppg.

Any other names you guys want to toss out there?
Good list Scott, i would think Margenthaler would/should be at the top of the list. I'm sure their wouldn't be any "exciting" names looking to come to WIU, it would probably be a head coach at a lower division coach looking to me up as opposed to a current D1 assistant.

I know in the offseason some website put together a list of 3 names for every D1 school if they made a head coaching change. I can't remember who all the names.but I know one was the Augustana (IL) head coach Grey Giovanine. I don't know if he would leave, I think he likes the level he is at.
meganeck

Also who hired Billy, was it Tommy Bell? If I remember right didn't they pretty much just hire Billy without doing a coaching search or were there other candidates or finalists?
Tere North

I would take a D2 head coach over a D1 assistant. Head coach is a very different position, more so than D2 to D1 jump.
meganeck

Another name to throw out as a possibility would be Geoff Alexander, he is currently an assistant coach on Brad Underwood's staff, and a former WIU player.
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 pm Another name to throw out as a possibility would be Geoff Alexander, he is currently an assistant coach on Brad Underwood's staff, and a former WIU player.
Do you know if he is related to Neil the HOF Lincoln coach and former bushnell coach.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:
meganeck wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 pm Another name to throw out as a possibility would be Geoff Alexander, he is currently an assistant coach on Brad Underwood's staff, and a former WIU player.
Do you know if he is related to Neil the HOF Lincoln coach and former bushnell coach.
Neil is his dad: https://fightingillini.com/coaches.aspx?rc=831

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:03 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:
Neil is his dad: https://fightingillini.com/coaches.aspx?rc=831

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read his bio earlier and some how I skipped right over that part
WIUSuperFan

This subject needs to be revisited again with regards to men's basketball. I'm very disappointed in the Men's Basketball direction this year and in the past years under Billy Wright's head coaching. These players have so much talent, but head coach Billy Wright cannot seem to get his players tap into their full potential. They keep making silly mistakes and lose games in the second half. He's very good at recruiting talented players, but cannot seem to coach them into something amazing. Billy Wright became the head coach while I was still a student. I think he started in the Fall of 2014 during my Sophomore year. He's had 5 years to really get the program something and I'm not amused at all. I hope after this season, they either fire Billy Wright, or assign him to a new position. He's a good recruiter and I would love to see him stick around with that roll, but a horrible head coach.
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu