Football Recruits - 2019

CRS Neck

xman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 am
According to the NCAA, those of us who are fans/supporters/boosters, are not technically supposed to talk to (including facebook, twitter, texting, etc.) kids or their families until they have signed and submitted their NLI's. That's really in place to prevent most of the "big boys" from having hordes of influential supporters contacting kids or their families to convince them to go to that school. It's much less of an issue with most schools at the FCS (or lower) level, but it is technically the rule. I think it's probably fine if a parent of a player pops on a message board to say hi, since we, as fans, are not the ones initiating contact. Once the NLI is signed and sent in though, I don't think there's any issue.

We've had a decent number of player parents join up and be active participants on the message board. GV Dad, Tmelker, and I think tjk1985 are all fathers of current players, and I know of at least a few others over the last few years that have spent a decent amount of time on here while their kids were on the team. We always welcome input and the perspective that you guys can bring, as well as any "inside info" that you're allowed to share (don't go getting anyone in trouble though). You're welcome to introduce yourself and who your kid is if you want, but don't feel like you have to...just whatever you're comfortable sharing. You've probably realized by now that when it comes to the student-athletes themselves, we're pretty positive and supportive. When they succeed both in the classroom and on the field, it makes us all look better.

Also, I'd highly recommend talking to some of the parents of last year's freshmen class (the previously mentioned users are part of that) if you haven't already. They did an awesome job of getting organized for tailgating at games and things and I had a great time hanging out and talking with them at a couple of the home games. Their group of tents even won "tailgaters of the game" at one of the games. If you happen to live near one/some of them, you guys might even be able to figure out carpools or whatever to make travel to some of the games easier.

Anyway, we're glad to have you. There's a few of us around here who have been following Leatherneck Football for quite a while, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I hope to see you at some of the games over the next few years.
Great info Scott, and thanks for letting me know there are other player parents on the board. I'll send them a few messages and introduce myself, as I will be interested in hanging out in the "Q lot". ha
This is GV Dad, I had to setup a temp acct on my phone because my password escapes me 🤨. Good to see more parents on here! Hit me up on twitter if you have an acct. @2bobwilliams5
CRS Neck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 am Was also wondering about Ben Nauman as it sounds like he signed but nothing was ever mentioned about him.
I think Ben is a PWO. They have to jump through some hoops before you can announce them. Not the player necessarily, but the Athletic Dept. with Scholly players, all this is cared for before the LOI is sent for them to sign. He’s a great kid! And going to be a very solid addition to the team!
xman

CRS Neck wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20 pm
This is GV Dad, I had to setup a temp acct on my phone because my password escapes me 🤨. Good to see more parents on here! Hit me up on twitter if you have an acct. @2bobwilliams5
Awesome, will do. Started following you on twitter, thank you.
Neckfansince71

ST, your information regarding contact with committed but waiting to sign a letter of intent reminds me of the time many years ago that I got on a plane bound for Punta Cana and found myself sitting next to a WIU softball recruit's father who was heading to Punta Cana with his wife too. It also just so happened that his daughters high school coach was the son of my freshmen basketball coach at Dundee Community High School in the 60's and the spinning "aint it a small world continued!" He also happened to be working for Follets Books and media company which was being run at that time by one of my fraternity brothers who also was a WIU swimmer back in the day. As a booster ala Leatherneck Club member I probably was not suppose to be sitting there next to him but we avoided the subject except for discussing what the recruiting experience was like, for most of the flight and talked about the old days of the North Suburban Conference which we both played in as high schoolers. When we got home I notified Holly and she noticed our director of compliance and that was it. No harm done according to the NCAA. Funny thing, after this, the commit decided that she had not had the chance to visit enough schools and she basically told Holly that who immediately pulled her scholie offer and that was it. She played at Oakland for her four years and only once or twice rubbed shoulders with the Necks as they had moved on to the Horizon League. Just thought I would share that. Oh, and welcome all newcomers. Let me know if I can help you with information regarding the Leatherneck Club when all the eyes are dotted and T's crossed.. ;) jc
wiu712

WIU football coach Jared Elliott comments on each of his new signees.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... coach-says
WIU2DC

I love how stoked the coach is for our new guys. I can’t wait for this season, as I think we have some great pieces to be competitive and hopefully the next guy up learned a lot from the departing seniors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:54 pm I’m excited to see a full listing of all of the kids from the early signing and today to watch their highlights and such. Super excited for those twins from Texas too.

On a sad note, NDSU has a class of 38.... 38! (Including walk ons. Beebe being one of them.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, just fyi, Stephen F. Austin has 49 incoming players. However, that's because they haven't been very good, new coaching staff from last year, lots of guys left when the old coaches left, so they're in full-on rebuilding mode. Not saying NDSU is in that position, but they are replacing a lot of really good seniors...so they're kinda "rebuilding" (or as much as they can be "rebuilding").
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

The NCAA caps the number of players a team can have in practice before classes start. Not sure what it is, but I believe it is around 110? I think we are pretty close to that number now.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 am The NCAA caps the number of players a team can have in practice before classes start. Not sure what it is, but I believe it is around 110? I think we are pretty close to that number now.
Yup, you can only have so many kids on the team, so having a huge recruiting class isn't necessarily an advantage. Usually it means that you've lost a lot of seniors and/or other players and need to rebuild.

Also, looks like we got a late commitment from a kicker from the KC area (Overland Park):
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Welcome Austin. Your video brings back some memories from my younger days. We had a swing set in our back yard in Alexis. I would use it for my goal posts to practice FG kicks. Eventually got to the point where I was having to kick from the next door neighbors hard. I am sure they appreciated that worn spot in their back yard. Coincidentally, same neighbor which I knocked out a window one day by hitting a baseball. ;)

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/bl ... f21cfd121d
Embrace the pace of the race.