Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

Hey Tri States Radio, how about starting with, WIU Retention and On-line enrollment up, more work to be done on enrollment!!!! Instead of downward trend continues!!! I am not going to hide the fact that there is a smaller student body at this point, but lets give credit where credit is due. A lot of WIU faculty and staff put themselves out to improve retention and there hard work is paying off. A lot of people are also working very hard with recruitment. With a little luck and a little help from Illinois and Pritzker, we just may turn the corner. ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 am Hey Tri States Radio, how about starting with, WIU Retention and On-line enrollment up, more work to be done on enrollment!!!! Instead of downward trend continues!!! I am not going to hide the fact that there is a smaller student body at this point, but lets give credit where credit is due. A lot of WIU faculty and staff put themselves out to improve retention and there hard work is paying off. A lot of people are also working very hard with recruitment. With a little luck and a little help from Illinois and Pritzker, we just may turn the corner. ;) jc
WIU is who missed the boat on this one. They had the numbers before they were posted on IRP website. A press release could have been put out noting the increases in retention, helping support a positive message. But no, WIU put out NOTHING!
Neckfansince71

Well that does not make any sense!! ;) jc
Tere North

Agreed Necksfansince71.

Makes me question the leadership even more, as if that were possible :lol:
Neckfansince71

So retention is up, WIU is honored by Fulbiright Scholars!!!!!!! Something appears to be going right at WIU/Macomb despite all of the shortcomings that it seems to have. ;) jc
wiu712

WIU Director of Residential / Auxilary Facilities Joe Roselieb has stated that Bayliss and Henninger Halls will be re-purposed and used during conferences held at the university and as a place for employees to stay overnight during harsh weather.

Two new living-learning communities (floors where students with similar majors are grouped) will be added in the dorms i.e. business studies and agriculture studies, beginning fall 2019.

The feedback that Western often hears from prospective students and families is that they want their own room, updated accommodations, and dining options within the hall, or in close proximity.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm WIU Director of Residential / Auxilary Facilities Joe Roselieb has stated that Bayliss and Henninger Halls will be re-purposed and used during conferences held at the university and as a place for employees to stay overnight during harsh weather.

Two new living-learning communities (floors where students with similar majors are grouped) will be added in the dorms i.e. business studies and agriculture studies, beginning fall 2019.

The feedback that Western often hears from prospective students and families is that they want their own room, updated accommodations, and dining options within the hall, or in close proximity.
We should implement a single room lottery reward system if we dont already have one. The longer a kid sticks around, the better his chances to get one.

https://uwosh.edu/housing/students/my-h ... m-lottery/
Embrace the pace of the race.
CRS Neck

wiu712 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm WIU Director of Residential / Auxilary Facilities Joe Roselieb has stated that Bayliss and Henninger Halls will be re-purposed and used during conferences held at the university and as a place for employees to stay overnight during harsh weather.

Hopefully made available for folks to rent as they do the rooms at the Union. Still a great need for Hotel space for events like Football games, parents weekends, etc.
wiu712

Decreasing enrollment impacts Macomb businesses, like Gelsosomo’s Pizzeria.

WIU sees lowest freshmen enrollment in generations, small business owners feel the impact.
From WQAD News:
https://wqad.com/2018/09/06/wiu-sees-lo ... he-impact/
wiu712

Declining enrollment at Western will impact the city of Macomb via a lower 2020 census count.

Challenges Await Macomb Census Committee.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/post/challenges-aw ... -committee