Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Illinois colleges continue to see enrollment declines.
Front page story in today's Peoria Journal-Star:
https://www.pjstar.com/news/20190216/il ... -declines-
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 pmWe should implement a single room lottery reward system if we dont already have one. The longer a kid sticks around, the better his chances to get one.
SIU-Carbondale has gone even farther than UW-Oshkosh.

SIU Housing announced they will be offering all students living in University Housing residence halls the option to live on their own, for no additional cost, according to an email sent to students last Thursday.

“Traditionally, two SIU students have shared a residence hall room,” the university said on the housing website. “With this new initiative, two students will share a suite; two rooms adjoined by a bathroom. This added luxury will be provided at no additional cost […] you’ll get a private room at the traditional double room rate.”

The university says they are in a unique situation to provide something that other schools cannot.

“Offering single rooms for all residence hall students makes being a Saluki all that more unique and special,” the university said. “University Housing will continue to offer this great perk as long as space will permit.”
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 pmWe should implement a single room lottery reward system if we dont already have one. The longer a kid sticks around, the better his chances to get one.
SIU-Carbondale has gone even farther than UW-Oshkosh.

SIU Housing announced they will be offering all students living in University Housing residence halls the option to live on their own, for no additional cost, according to an email sent to students last Thursday.

“Traditionally, two SIU students have shared a residence hall room,” the university said on the housing website. “With this new initiative, two students will share a suite; two rooms adjoined by a bathroom. This added luxury will be provided at no additional cost […] you’ll get a private room at the traditional double room rate.”

The university says they are in a unique situation to provide something that other schools cannot.

“Offering single rooms for all residence hall students makes being a Saluki all that more unique and special,” the university said. “University Housing will continue to offer this great perk as long as space will permit.”
SIU has closed down their east campus residence halls and the nearby dining facility. The residence halls still operating are all in close proximity to the campus lake with a single dining facility serving them all. Logistically and aesthetically, that is a pretty good arrangement. Unfortunately, the lake had a toxic algae problem a few years ago. I guess it did not smell good or look good but they appear to have the problem in check now. Just having a lake on campus opens up so many nice recreational and academic opportunities. Hell, I would rather have a nice lake on or near campus than I would a brand-spanking new athletic arena but that is just me.

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/ ... edc11.html
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

My sources tell me that there was a large and enthusiastic crowd at yesterday's "Discover Western" program. ST, do you have a read about how things went? ;) jc
wiu712

WIU enrollment in Macomb down 14% from 2018: The enrollment decrease at Western Illinois University shows no sign of abating.
From today's Peoria Journal-Star:
https://www.pjstar.com/news/20190218/ni ... -from-2018
sealhall74

And how might the nationwide trend toward zero student debt solutions for community college/certificate degree students affect the big boys, assuming Illinois eventually goes that direction?

https://www.thinglink.com/scene/1014570 ... viewLimits
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:25 am My sources tell me that there was a large and enthusiastic crowd at yesterday's "Discover Western" program. ST, do you have a read about how things went? ;) jc
I don't really, but I do get the sense that things are a little more "upbeat" around campus and there was a decent number of posts on social media about the program. Maybe a bit of enthusiasm plus a somewhat more positive state situation (we'll start to hear that side of things more tomorrow during the governor's address) can get things moving in the right direction.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:26 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 pm8,502 is the total enrollment number for us this fall.
Macomb enrollment = 7,235.
Quad Cities enrollment = 1,267.

Total = 8,502.

Eastern's enrollment of 7,526 puts it ahead of Western.
I was reading an old article about the construction of the QC campus and at the time (2010) it said it served 1400 students and with the building of the buildings they were expecting enrollment of over 3000 students. Not sure what the highest enrollment in the Quad Cities, but I assume it wasn't close to that.
Neckfansince71

I would suggest that you watch Dr. Abraham's presentation that he did today at the "Assembly" in Western Hall if you want true info regarding enrollment and the future of WIU. Finally, someone has identified the universitie's needs and he has a plan on how to get WIU/Macomb moving forward! ;) jc
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:52 pm I would suggest that you watch Dr. Abraham's presentation that he did today at the "Assembly" in Western Hall if you want true info regarding enrollment and the future of WIU.
Here is the video from today's University Assembly: