GoLeathernecks.com - Nichols Voted Freshman of the Year; Two Named All-Summit

FeedBot

Danni Nichols became the first WIU women's basketball player to be named Freshman of the Year.

Source: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2019/3/ ... ummit.aspx
Tere North

FeedBot wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:06 pm Image

Danni Nichols became the first WIU women's basketball player to be named Freshman of the Year.

Source: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2019/3/ ... ummit.aspx
Well done. Holds good promise for next year!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:19 am Well done. Holds good promise for next year!
Absolutely.

Obviously Taylor Higgenbotham is a big one to replace, but she's the only Senior this year. Next year Graettinger, Kaufmann, Hamm, Washington, and Pryor will all be seniors, Nichols as the reigning conference freshman of the year will be a sophomore and Gilmore will be a Junior. Plus we currently have 5 true freshmen on the roster who had limited playing time this year (doesn't look like we redshirted anyone, but I don't know if they're allowed to play a limited amount on a redshirt like in football or whatever).

Lots of returning talent, lots of seniors to be the new leaders...hell, we could start all seniors in game if we wanted to.

Across the conference, everyone who was a first-team conference except one player at USD are seniors...including 2-time conference player of the year SDSU's Macy Miller. So, the conference looks like it could be pretty well open for anyone to win.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:25 am
Tere North wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:19 am Well done. Holds good promise for next year!
Absolutely.

Obviously Taylor Higgenbotham is a big one to replace, but she's the only Senior this year. Next year Graettinger, Kaufmann, Hamm, Washington, and Pryor will all be seniors, Nichols as the reigning conference freshman of the year will be a sophomore and Gilmore will be a Junior. Plus we currently have 5 true freshmen on the roster who had limited playing time this year (doesn't look like we redshirted anyone, but I don't know if they're allowed to play a limited amount on a redshirt like in football or whatever).

Lots of returning talent, lots of seniors to be the new leaders...hell, we could start all seniors in game if we wanted to.

Across the conference, everyone who was a first-team conference except one player at USD are seniors...including 2-time conference player of the year SDSU's Macy Miller. So, the conference looks like it could be pretty well open for anyone to win.
Sam redshirted this year so she should still be a junior next year
wiu712

I don't think that #15 Carla Flores Garcia played in any games this season. She is a freshman.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am I don't think that #15 Carla Flores Garcia played in any games this season. She is a freshman.
Correct. Both Sam and Carla were redshirted.
meganeck

Tere North wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am
wiu712 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am I don't think that #15 Carla Flores Garcia played in any games this season. She is a freshman.
Correct. Both Sam and Carla were redshirted.
As it sits right away - not knowing of any more additions or anyone leaving - They will have 4 SRs, 2 JRs, 5 Sophs, 3 Fr