AD interviews and candidates

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

https://goleathernecks.com/news/2019/3/ ... views.aspx

I know that Bubb has a lot of experience around the country at some decent schools and has a lot of local connections (already works for WIU, graduated from here, has kids and grandkids in Macomb). I don't really know enough about the other candidates to know who would be best though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I have to say I’m actually surprised with the candidates I still think Danielle probably deserves it but all really good candidates.
meganeck

I just kind of skimmed the story, but i wasn't very impressed with the candidates, but who knows. My initial thought after seeing the candidates is might as well keep the job with Danielle. Be interesting to see what happens.
Tere North

If I recall, when Tanney went from interim to full, there was no search process.

That makes me really wonder why there needed to be one this time.

Danielle seems to have done a really good job and certainly knows what the job takes.

Some of the others are just fundraising experience, not AD experience. Yes the fundraising is important, but that's where the primary fundraising staff are supposed to do most of the work with the AD brought in for some heavy lifting with big donors. There's far more to being an AD than fundraising.
GV Dad

Current leadership in the Athletic Dept has not been good. My question though, is that necessarily Danielle's fault? Or are her hands tied by the current Administration? If that's the case, doesn't really matter who get's hired until the problem is solved at the top.
wiu2013

GV Dad wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm Current leadership in the Athletic Dept has not been good. My question though, is that necessarily Danielle's fault? Or are her hands tied by the current Administration? If that's the case, doesn't really matter who get's hired until the problem is solved at the top.
I agree, I also believe there has been a lot of inexperience with the current leadership who are learning on the fly. We also can not keep anyone in the athletic department for more than a few years. There has been an extreme amount of turnover in the past few years. There are a lot of GA's doing work that should be completed by a hired employee.
GV Dad

wiu2013 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:28 pm
GV Dad wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm Current leadership in the Athletic Dept has not been good. My question though, is that necessarily Danielle's fault? Or are her hands tied by the current Administration? If that's the case, doesn't really matter who get's hired until the problem is solved at the top.
I agree, I also believe there has been a lot of inexperience with the current leadership who are learning on the fly. We also can not keep anyone in the athletic department for more than a few years. There has been an extreme amount of turnover in the past few years. There are a lot of GA's doing work that should be completed by a hired employee.
I'd like to know more about Bubb. With his family here and being an Alum, this would likely not be a temp job for him. Some stability would be a nice change.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 pm I'd like to know more about Bubb. With his family here and being an Alum, this would likely not be a temp job for him. Some stability would be a nice change.
Here's a few articles:
http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=8887
http://www.wiu.edu/coehs/kinesiology/gr ... rchive.php

From when he got his current job: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=15205
He currently works under Brad Bainter as the Executive Director of Development: http://www.wiu.edu/vpaps/foundation_and ... /staff.php

According to his facebook page, he's originally from Ipava. He has one daughter who works in WIU's Visual Production Center (I used to work with her at Document and Publication Services) and another daughter who teaches at St. Paul School and was my daughter's 2nd grade teacher. I think there's one other daughter, but I don't know her. Between the two I do know, there's 3 young grandkids in Macomb. I think it'd take quite a bit to pry him away from the area, although I don't know how close he might be to retirement.

That being said, I don't know him personally, and I haven't looked into how successful he was at his various positions.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

To me Moore and Bubb seems like the best candidates look at there history my biggest concerns with both is there age and how close they could be to retirement
wiu51

I think Danielle is the underdog vs the other three. One thing that I have noticed since the departure of Tim and then Tommy is we are learning on the fly and I believe to much is slipping though the cracks by not having an experienced person in the AD job. There is little to no marketing of the games, the game day atmosphere inside the event is down and there are fewer corporate and game sponsors. I just don't feel like its buttoned up like it had been in the past.