Future Men's BBall Schedules

sealhall74

I dont mind DIII, but Augie would be a better option. I think I remember seeing us play both Augies (IL and SD) when I was a student. The current IL Augie could probably give us a reasonably competitive game.

Update: Augie does play at ISUr this year.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

I understand that the Summit is a one bid league. Everybody knows it, besides that, the Summit is just one of MANY one bid leagues.

However, four DIII schools in non-con, and these are not good DIIIs like a Illinois Wesleyan, Wisc OshKosh, Wisc LaCross, or North Central.

I can't Imagine anybody wanting to show up for these games. I foresee our men playing in a mostly empty gym. I don't remember it being this wretched schedule wise during the Coach Thomas years (and those were some forgettable seasons.)

I think apathy has taken over completely. I think there are very few people that care anymore. Once football season is over I'm checked out. I do like what Coach JDG is doing with the ladies, so props to him. Can't imagine he'll stay around much longer.
wiu712

The biggest crowd for a men's game this year was 572 for the Senior Night game vs Oral Roberts.

The smallest crowd was 269 for the Knox game.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 am The biggest crowd for a men's game this year was 572 for the Senior Night game vs Oral Roberts.

The smallest crowd was 269 for the Knox game.
So what are the odds that any of the 3 AD candidates were tossed the question "What would you do to increase attendance at home athletic events?".
Oh to be a fly on the wall to hear the answer to that one.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

How are we not able to even continue a home/home with IUPUI? I know they played here in '17 and we played there in '18 and then that's it. Just like Oakland, just like Valpo really the list is quite long if one goes back to the mass Exodus in the '90s. Apparently nobody want's to have any association with Western once they have left the league.

IUPUI really galls me. They are this bastard union of two schools to create a commuter school that played in a gym that makes Western Hall look like the United Center. The MidCon/Summit gave them a home.

I know I am rambling but I think the MVC regrets selecting Valpo. Murray State really would have been a MUCH better choice. Western will never get an invite to the MVC. I think next in line for MVC invite is Murray State, Belmont, South Dakota State, New Mexico State, Northern Kentucky.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm How are we not able to even continue a home/home with IUPUI? I know they played here in '17 and we played there in '18 and then that's it. Just like Oakland, just like Valpo really the list is quite long if one goes back to the mass Exodus in the '90s. Apparently nobody want's to have any association with Western once they have left the league.

IUPUI really galls me. They are this bastard union of two schools to create a commuter school that played in a gym that makes Western Hall look like the United Center. The MidCon/Summit gave them a home.

I know I am rambling but I think the MVC regrets selecting Valpo. Murray State really would have been a MUCH better choice. Western will never get an invite to the MVC. I think next in line for MVC invite is Murray State, Belmont, South Dakota State, New Mexico State, Northern Kentucky.
I'm about 95% sure Murray State will be going MVC within the next 5 years. The only issue with them is where they put their football team. OVC currently gives them a home for all sports. They'd have to figure out how to line up an invite from the MVFC for their football team, go indy for a while, or drop scholarships and go Pioneer League.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 amSo what are the odds that any of the 3 AD candidates were tossed the question "What would you do to increase attendance at home athletic events?"
Another good question for those A.D. candidates would be how would they re-build the game-day atmosphere for football that has largely disappeared over the past two years.

Women's basketball drew larger crowds than the Men this year. The largest crowd for the Women was 1,227 for the Missouri game. The smallest crowd was 254 for the game with Truman State.
Western_101

Yes ST_Lawson, Football for Murray St. would be an issue.

They are much more of a basketball school. I could see them dropping football or as you stated going the Drake/Valpo/Dayton route. I am not sure (I have no idea) if MVFC want's to add another school. I would be OK with it. MVFC has enough Juggernauts we could use a team or two at the bottom to help out the others (I think you know what I mean).
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 pm Continuing post/thread about future schedules:

2019/2020 Schedule (what we know so far)
11/5 - @ Indiana
11/30 - @ UMKC
12/19 - Silver Lake (NAIA)
12/29 - South Dakota
1/02 - @ North Dakota State
1/04 - @ South Dakota State
1/08 - Fort Wayne
1/11 - Denver
1/16 - Oral Roberts
1/23 - @ Omaha
1/25 - @ North Dakota
1/30 - North Dakota State