A New Beginning has Begun

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherneckcountry

Pretty sad that the people who have to drive an hour or even close to 2 could make it but the one person who lives right next door couldn’t make it.
sealhall74

Well, so much for the retreat, typically a time to connect with kindred spirits.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Governor removes two from WIU board.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... -wiu-board
rocki

This "different direction" business has me concerned.
Leatherneck10

The two new Trustees have to be registered Republicans. The only question we should care about now is, are they going to be Pro Joe or Pro Martin Republicans. I fear Martin might get out politicked being new to the State.
sealhall74

It's time to update 110 Illinois Compiled Statutes 690/35

Today, more people identify as "unaffiliated" than they do to either of the two political parites.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm It's time to update 110 Illinois Compiled Statutes 690/35

Today, more people identify as "unaffiliated" than they do to either of the two political parites.
That may be true, but in McDonough County we have to declare a party in primary voting. I don't know if that holds for the entire state, or whether it's up to each individual county to decide. If it is statewide, then residents do have to pick their party to vote in primaries, no matter how they feel when it comes time for the general election.
rocki

So, when October rolls around, do they then start a search for a new president, or does it automatically default to the interim president?

Not saying anything against the current interim (as he hasn't had time to do much of anything yet), but we all know that Rives is not a good choice. I feel it needs to be someone completely fresh with new ideas and motivation.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck10 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm The two new Trustees have to be registered Republicans. The only question we should care about now is, are they going to be Pro Joe or Pro Martin Republicans. I fear Martin might get out politicked being new to the State.
Technically, I think the way the rules are written, no more than 4 (of the 8 trustees) can be from the same political party. In practice, that essentially means 4 Republicans and 4 Democrats, but I don't know that it has to be that way...if there were a candidate that was registered as Libertarian or Green, for example...they might be able to nominated.
The details for ours can be found here: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/bac/Sit ... x?BCID=899
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck10

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm
Leatherneck10 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm The two new Trustees have to be registered Republicans. The only question we should care about now is, are they going to be Pro Joe or Pro Martin Republicans. I fear Martin might get out politicked being new to the State.
Technically, I think the way the rules are written, no more than 4 (of the 8 trustees) can be from the same political party. In practice, that essentially means 4 Republicans and 4 Democrats, but I don't know that it has to be that way...if there were a candidate that was registered as Libertarian or Green, for example...they might be able to nominated.
The details for ours can be found here: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/bac/Sit ... x?BCID=899
4/7 can be from one party. The student trustee is not political. But I believe you're right that other parties count, too. That might even be a good idea, but I doubt that will happen.