2017 - Discussion of Basketball Recruits

WIU0812

So I figured I would create a discussion board along with the list like I had been doing. This may surprise most of you as much as it did me, but we are already showing interest to a 2017 SG from North Carolina named Wes Morgan. This is a completely different type of recruiting here. Hopefully this works out great and we are able to build a long term relationship with these players which helps their decision to come to WIU.
sealhall74

Most kids today have it all backwards. They spend countless weekends playing organized AAU ball with the hope to eventually play DI ball. If they are lucky enough to get an offer, they then waste the first two years of college getting strong enough to actually play at that level. Develop the body FIRST and the rest will take care of itself.

Wes Morgan is already getting quite a few looks from some big-time programs.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Rocky Swishterson

Big guys....we need to concentrate on BIG people. A school like Western can get guards out the ying-yang, but attracting a true paint player should be the focus. Otherwise, this program is going nowhere faster.
sealhall74

Rocky Swishterson wrote:Big guys....we need to concentrate on BIG people. A school like Western can get guards out the ying-yang, but attracting a true paint player should be the focus. Otherwise, this program is going nowhere faster.
At this level, I would be more than happy with two or three super athletic 6'5 or 6'6 guys. IMO, the 6'10+ guys are not likely to come unless they need a passport to get here. BTW, Bryce Drew at Valpo is still tapping that foreign pipeline just like his dad did with five foreign players and one of them is at 6'10 level:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketba ... H8Ha8khH0Q

We should be doing the same thing assuming Billy's recruiting budget allows him to explore foreign talent. I am not crazy about relying on JUCOs to be the difference makers in the paint each and every year. Post players need to be carefully developed and nurtured but I think the potential is far greater if you can keep them around for 4/5 years. Seeing it happen that way on the women's side of the house. Big Jim Granstra is the last guy that comes to my mind who arrived as a freshman and stayed for the long haul (or almost in his case). That seems like forever ago.
Rocky Swishterson

Eulis Baez was a non-U.S. recruit, right? He was excellent. And Big. God, we need big.
sealhall74

Rocky Swishterson wrote:Eulis Baez was a non-U.S. recruit, right? He was excellent. And Big. God, we need big.
I think we got Baez from just up the road at Southeastern CC in Iowa. From what I can gather, he is still playing ball for his Dominican homeland. Baez is only 6'6" but probably very athletic. BTW, Southeastern currently has three guys on the roster in the range of 6'9-6'10 range and have a record of 15-1 so they must still be doing something right even after departure of Joe O'Brien for bigger waters. Not sure what Joe is doing these days after leaving Idaho State.
Neckfansince71

My formula would be, recruit long sharpe shooters early, and find a future big guy that you can develop in 2-3 years. WIU is not going to initially attract talented big men unless they come ala TP via junco! My coaching instinct says go "inside outside" but I have also seen games turn around in a hurry with the 3 point shot. PS. I think Kam Rowan has left the team. No longer listed on roster. ;) jc
sealhall74

NFS71, problem with that strategy is that you can really only use one (or maybe two with a good offensive scheme) spot up sharp shooter at any time UNLESS they happen to be blessed with exceptional quickness and ball handling skills. Can't coach quickness.

Not surprised Rowan left. He was not likely to see much PT for next two years. That is probably the biggest failing of kids today. They need to scout out the school to see what their playing prospects are going to be. You can't improve your game by sitting on the bench.
meganeck

WIU is showing interest in Lemont (IL) PJ Pipes.
Panther

PJ Pipes 2014-2015 Highlights from his Sophomore year as the starting PG on varsity