2019 Week 8 - Western Illinois vs Illinois State

letsgonecks

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:59 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:43 pm Anyone else annoyed the young kid calling the games on the ESPN broadcast has no idea who the players are?

Maybe it's tough to see up there and there's no monitor, but each week he has no idea who the players are, like he's never seen a team roster or this team play.
Well in his defense the #in the roster half the time aren’t the right ones
There was a game Wahee wore 15 and Norris wore Johnsons his first game back. Maybe missing 1 other time, but not a good enough excuse. A few weeks ago he was thinking the 6-3 freshman WR was playing corner and not the DB that wears 7. You'd think he'd know the roster inside and out.
meganeck

Is Thompson hurt or they just going with the young guys at RB
WIU2DC

meganeck wrote:Is Thompson hurt or they just going with the young guys at RB
Not sure, but what I saw the younger backs look decent. (I only watched the second half)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

Illinois State won the game 28-14.

Western had 24 first downs. Illinois State had 15.

Connor Sampson was 34 of 50 for 270 yards.

Western's third-down efficiency was 11 of 20. Illinois State was 4 of 11.

Western had 5 turn-overs (2 intercepted passes and 3 lost fumbles).

Attendance at Hanson Field = 2,984.
meganeck

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:04 pm
meganeck wrote:Is Thompson hurt or they just going with the young guys at RB
Not sure, but what I saw the younger backs look decent. (I only watched the second half)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree they seemed to do a decent job.
wiu712

Turnovers cost Leathernecks in loss to Illinois State.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... nois-state

No. 10 Illinois State football cashes in on turnovers, downs Western Illinois.
From the Bloomington Pantagraph:
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colle ... e1fd7.html
sealhall74

On the very positive note, I got to see my "brick" in the ashtray for the first time. Right in front of Rocky where it belongs.

More about the game. My fiance was unable to go because of family obligations and I was late a few minutes so I missed the first TD score. Walking thru Q toward stadium, I was shocked how many tailgaters were still in the lot after the game had already started. Some were even watching other games on TV. I got to the ticket booth and there was a short line of people waiting for general admission tickets (they were out of them). Not sure how long they had to wait but I qualified for the Child/Senior discount ticket and they had those so I was able to get right in quickly. Gotta say the pork sandwiches were pretty tasty.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

I see NDSU and ISU come with the Power I formation a lot. Do we even have that in the arsenal? Two backs, one blocking for the other, play can go left or right, defense has to guess rather than just keying on a single back. I know we suck running the ball but I think we can show more versatility than we are now.
Embrace the pace of the race.
LocalYokelFan

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:30 pm I got to the ticket booth and there was a short line of people waiting for general admission tickets (they were out of them). Not sure how long they had to wait but I qualified for the Child/Senior discount ticket and they had those so I was able to get right in quickly. Gotta say the pork sandwiches were pretty tasty.
There were two absolutely inexcusable things that happened at Hanson Field yesterday. I'll start with the one Seal mentions above. They legit ran out of tickets. Dozens of people missed a quarter of football because not enough tickets were printed and the athletics department wasn't mentally nimble enough to say "hey, let's just let people pay, maybe put a Shapie 'X' on their hands, and let them try to enjoy an 0-6 football team." They made people wait for actual printed tickets. It was absurd. I'm confident Ms. Surprenant, Mr. Jones, and Ms. Cassimire we're made well aware how terribly that was handled and that it will not happen again.

As I was exiting yesterday, two ISU fans were laughing saying "I've never been to such an empty stadium that ran out of tickets." If we can't get things like this right, call the Midwest Conference and see how we can join their ranks at DIII.

The other was the trick play to the edge on 2nd and goal at the ISU 2. After whomever gets done having a stern conversation with Ms. Surprenant regarding the ticket embarrassment, she needs to turn around and have an equally stern conversation with Mr. Elliot about that play call.

This athletics department needs some degree of accountability, and quickly.
LocalYokelFan

In fairness, I made a typo above. Tickets arrived sometime mid-first quarter and I imagine everyone waiting to get in got in by the MIDDLE of the first quarter.