2019 Week 10 - Western Illinois vs South Dakota

HoosierNeck13

Is this enough for Elliott to stay? Great person, but we need to get a coach with head coaching experience.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

HoosierNeck13 wrote:Is this enough for Elliott to stay? Great person, but we need to get a coach with head coaching experience.
Probably depends on next year. I highly doubt we can afford to buy out his contract, which was probably a 3-year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
HoosierNeck13 wrote:Is this enough for Elliott to stay? Great person, but we need to get a coach with head coaching experience.
Probably depends on next year. I highly doubt we can afford to buy out his contract, which was probably a 3-year deal.

I’d agree, likely gonna let him coach next year but I will be highly upset with the athletic department if they extend him before the start of the season. He needs to have a winning season and playoffs to get a contract extension next year.

meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Agree, i don't think you get rid of him after 2 years, what Scott said, plus technically he isn't really playing with his recruits yet and also, WIU would probably have problems getting quality coaching candidates as it is, let alone knowing the previous coach only got 2 years before he was fired.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:

I’d agree, likely gonna let him coach next year but I will be highly upset with the athletic department if they extend him before the start of the season. He needs to have a winning season and playoffs to get a contract extension next year.

Exactly. If we don't have a significant improvement next year, I don't think he'll be retained.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western wins 38-34!!

Connor Sampson threw for a career-high 368 passing yards. Clint Ratkovich recorded two touchdowns, including the go-ahead with 34 seconds remaining. Eric Carrera picked the ball off at the one-yard line with 4 seconds left to secure the victory.

LOTS of penalties in this game. Western had 11 penalties for 106 yards. South Dakota had 14 penalties for 160 yards.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 1,728.

WESTERN WINNER!: Leathernecks come back, then hold on for a victory over South Dakota, 38-34.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... ern-winner

South Dakota Coyotes stunned by the Western Illinois Leathernecks.
From the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 128700002/

Cue the Fight Song!
rocki

Congrats to the team for pulling this one out!!!!

Winning is a good feeling.

Just a quick question - are we getting pretty decimated on defense as well as offense? Just some of the comments made by Tom and Danny made it sound like we're beaten up pretty badly on both sides of the ball - I think most of us knew about the offensive players that were out, but I didn't realize the defense had been hit hard as well.
wiu712

A friendly wager between two Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterbacks: Sean McGuire (Western) and Chris Steveler (South Dakota):

rocki

wiu712 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:07 pm A friendly wager between two Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterbacks: Sean McGuire (Western) and Chris Steveler (South Dakota):

Hope Streveler likes wearing purple and gold. :lol:
Neckfansince71

So, the one thing that I have always been amazed at is just how close earning a win of getting a loss can me. A play here or a defensive stop there and WIU is 4-5 or 5-4. Take a look at the boxscores and I think you may just agree with me. A penalty here or a penalty there, a fumble, an interference call that goes the other way, missed field goal or extra point, you name it when you are loosing there are all sorts of ways to do it. Our offensive line responded today, our defensive line chased their QB all over the field and missed the chance for a number of sac's or no gains. But WIU found a way to win and SD found a way to loose.

So is Coach Elliot's job safe? Well, no coach's job is safe for very long, just ask my favorite coach, Coach Neilson. The Coyote faithful is yelling, screaming, and basically having a shit fit over this season and this loss. Heck, with all the rehab that is going on at the Coyote Dome, all the money being spent to upgrade facilities, they are begging that some of the money be used to buy out Bob's contract. You know, BobN, former coach at WIU, national champion at D2 a number of times at MinnMorris, the guy who lied to our kids after an appearance at ISU in the playoffs. Remember him?

So we should have gone to the playoffs last year. A couple of duffas penalties cost WIU a chance to move on. We graduated some very key players, some who happen to be playing currently in the CFL and NFL. And there should be a crane and a large hole in the northern end zone for our new football building. But it still looks the same. But Coach Elliot and his staff and his team have continued to compete and at times improve in all the facets of football. Lets enjoy this win and move on. The MVFC is a bitch and each week is a battle. Just ask BoBN!