Getting down and dirty in Vermillion

sealhall74

The Necks are making the long trek to Vermillion, SD for a hump night affair with the Yotes. I was looking around to see what Macomb and Vermillion have in common. Both small towns, county seats, and a Best Western hotel is about all I could come up with. What do our two teams have in common? Not much, one is trending up and the other is trending down. That said, we did get the W against them at home to open the season. Don't look for any preferred treatment from these guys at their place. We will need to be red (i.e. vermillion) hot from the field to stay close in this one.

This weeks trivia question. Feel free to get your keyboards dirty and Google around with it.

Fact: Vermillion is named for the reddish clay from the banks which color the waters of the nearby Missouri River. Vermillion is the county seat of Clay County.
True or False. Clay County was named for that same reddish clay.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm The Necks are making the long trek to Vermillion, SD for a hump night affair with the Yotes. I was looking around to see what Macomb and Vermillion have in common. Both small towns, county seats, and a Best Western hotel is about all I could come up with. What do our two teams have in common? Not much, one is trending up and the other is trending down. That said, we did get the W against them at home to open the season. Don't look for any preferred treatment from these guys at their place. We will need to be red (i.e. vermillion) hot from the field to stay close in this one.

This weeks trivia question. Feel free to get your keyboards dirty and Google around with it.

Fact: Vermillion is named for the reddish clay from the banks which color the waters of the nearby Missouri River. Vermillion is the county seat of Clay County.
True or False. Clay County was named for that same reddish clay.
Note, named for Henry Clay.
wiu712

Henry Clay Sr. was an American attorney and statesman who represented Kentucky in both the United States Senate and United States House of Representatives, served as seventh speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, and served as the ninth U.S. Secretary of State.

Western Men look to solidify spot with two games this week.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... -this-week
wiu712

The Peoria Journal-Star has South Dakota as a 15-point favorite in tonight's game.
sealhall74

This game day is also the birthday of Abe Lincoln. He absolutely idolized Henry Clay. Oh for the days when politicians were honest and strived for compromise.

http://marker.to/GQnTI6
wiu712

wiu712

South Dakota won the game 85-72.

Kobe Webster led the Western scoring with 29 points. Zion Young had 21.

Western had a 11-point lead in the first half (19-8).

South Dakota's largest lead was 18 points (70-52).

Attendance at South Dakota = 1,823.

Next game will be at Western Hall on Saturday (Feb 15) vs North Dakota. Game time is 7:00 PM. This will be the second game of a double-header. The Women will be playing North Dakota at 4:30 PM.

Triston Simpson's strong start sparks South Dakota to win over Western Illinois.
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 713126002/
sealhall74

I did not get to see it (went to see the Texas Tenors at the Adler in Davenport) but looking at the box score,
USD killed us on points in the paint and fast break points 58-21.

You need more than a couple shining stars to deal with that problem.

If you get a chance to see the Texas Tenors, they really do put on a good show. They are coming to Burlington, IA on May 15 and even Carthage, IL on Dec 12. Lots of shows in Branson, MO. What venue does Carthage have suitable for a decent size concert?

wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 amWhat venue does Carthage have suitable for a decent size concert?
The Legacy Theater in Carthage is a building on the campus of the old Carthage College. It is a 525 seat auditorium.
https://www.thelegacytheater.com/about
wiu712

The Legacy Theater began its life with Carthage College.

After lying dormant for two decades, the property was purchased by Carthage Veterinary Services. Ownership of the theater was transferred to Carl Sandburg College, which invested $3.5 million to make the theater "state-of-the-art". When the recession hit in 2008, Carl Sandburg College sold the facility to the city of Carthage, and the Legacy Theater Foundation was formed.