vs North Dakota

sealhall74

I wonder if Jack would be interested in coming back to Macomb. No, not that Jack. This Jack. :lol:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jackhoupt

He has that all important MS degree and resurrecting this program will take a master effort.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 am I wonder if Jack would be interested in coming back to Macomb. No, not that Jack. This Jack. :lol:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jackhoupt

He has that all important MS degree and resurrecting this program will take a master effort.
Update -- Right now, Preston Spradlin at Morehead State is the youngest D1 HC at the ripe old age of 31. We could garner a lot of headlines with a Houpt hire as he is not even close to 30 yet.
vatusay

With the new floor, seating, paint, corridors, video board, scoreboard ( I know not impressive), and signage, western hall is not a bad arena to take in a ball game. I don’t see it as the actual facility being the problem. It’s the purple/black seats/bleachers being empty as the real problem with the atmosphere. This team is loaded with talent. The coaching or lack there of is just simply pathetic.

The player rotations, last game not having a single guy on the block for during free throw with a tie game under a minute to go, terrible time out usage, and just the lost expression for 70% of the game is the problem. If there is another year of Mr. Wright I will not attend another game of any kind. It’s that bad. I hope he and his family land on their feed somewhere and find success. It just isn’t working at WIU.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:38 am With the new floor, seating, paint, corridors, video board, scoreboard ( I know not impressive), and signage, western hall is not a bad arena to take in a ball game. I don’t see it as the actual facility being the problem. It’s the purple/black seats/bleachers being empty as the real problem with the atmosphere. This team is loaded with talent. The coaching or lack there of is just simply pathetic.

The player rotations, last game not having a single guy on the block for during free throw with a tie game under a minute to go, terrible time out usage, and just the lost expression for 70% of the game is the problem. If there is another year of Mr. Wright I will not attend another game of any kind. It’s that bad. I hope he and his family land on their feed somewhere and find success. It just isn’t working at WIU.
Yup, I agree with all of this. There's much worse arenas and facilities in DI. Maybe not in our conference, but there's plenty of smaller schools in DI that have tiny HS-type gyms. We need to win games and fill the stands. Western Hall is pretty hoppin' when you've got over 5k people in there. I would be astounded if Coach Wright was here next year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:00 pm
vatusay wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:38 am With the new floor, seating, paint, corridors, video board, scoreboard ( I know not impressive), and signage, western hall is not a bad arena to take in a ball game. I don’t see it as the actual facility being the problem. It’s the purple/black seats/bleachers being empty as the real problem with the atmosphere. This team is loaded with talent. The coaching or lack there of is just simply pathetic.

Yup, I agree with all of this. There's much worse arenas and facilities in DI. Maybe not in our conference, but there's plenty of smaller schools in DI that have tiny HS-type gyms. We need to win games and fill the stands. Western Hall is pretty hoppin' when you've got over 5k people in there. I would be astounded if Coach Wright was here next year.
I've been there when it was packed wall to wall. Couple times against EIU when it was true rivalry game. Other time at the NCAA D2 regional final. The noise was deafening and you had a nice home court advantage. Now days, it's really the opposite of a home court advantage IMHO. Guys and gals expect some sort of lift at crunch time from the crowd. Not much there.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pmGuys and gals expect some sort of lift at crunch time from the crowd.
We couldn't even get the Western Pep Band to play the Fight Song during the second half or overtime of that exciting game last week with North Dakota.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:56 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pmGuys and gals expect some sort of lift at crunch time from the crowd.
We couldn't even get the Western Pep Band to play the Fight Song during the second half or overtime of that exciting game last week with North Dakota.
That will not be a problem on Saturday. Alumni pep band (well, mostly regular pep band, plus a few alumni) at that game. This means that all the regular people who direct the band (grad students, band director) are busy with this weekend's Showcase of Bands and I find an alumni who has experience leading a band to run things....usually. This year though, nobody stepped up to lead the band, so I get to be the one directing/flailing my hands about wildly in front of the band (which is an entirely new thing for me...I've never directed a band before).

If the game is close near the end, I will do everything I can to play the fight song....assuming I still have control of things by then.

Got any other requests?...Hey Song?...Land of 1000 Dances?
(sorry, we don't know Free Bird)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:07 pm
wiu712 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:56 pm
That will not be a problem on Saturday. Alumni pep band (well, mostly regular pep band, plus a few alumni) at that game. This means that all the regular people who direct the band (grad students, band director) are busy with this weekend's Showcase of Bands and I find an alumni who has experience leading a band to run things....usually. This year though, nobody stepped up to lead the band, so I get to be the one directing/flailing my hands about wildly in front of the band (which is an entirely new thing for me...I've never directed a band before).

If the game is close near the end, I will do everything I can to play the fight song....assuming I still have control of things by then.

Got any other requests?...Hey Song?...Land of 1000 Dances?
(sorry, we don't know Free Bird)
Livin on a Prayer about midway in 2nd half during one of those long media timeouts works for me.

Damn I miss this pep band.

wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:07 pmIf the game is close near the end, I will do everything I can to play the Fight Song.
Bravo, Scott! We are counting on you! :)

Bad news coming out of Denver tonight. Denver beat Oral Roberts 100-96 in overtime. Western really needs a win at home on Saturday.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:32 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:07 pmIf the game is close near the end, I will do everything I can to play the Fight Song.
Bravo, Scott! We are counting on you! :)

Bad news coming out of Denver tonight. Denver beat Oral Roberts 100-96 in overtime. Western really needs a win at home on Saturday.
Beating Omaha in Western Hall will be a lot easier than beating Denver in Magness Arena, thats for sure.
I plan on coming in for the 2pm matinee show.