Time to Fire Billy Wright and Rebuild the Basketball Program

sealhall74

Bat, where did you go to school? What languages do you speak? Do you have a slight lisp when you do speak?
Were you in the same fraternity with John McCarthy, Al Turing, Marv Minsky, Al Newell, and Herb Simon?
IIRC, I saw Herb Simon give a presentation in the University Union back in late 70s, early 80s.

I knew I was right. 1981 was the year.

Last edited by sealhall74 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:31 pm
vatusay wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:15 pm Got me, totally forgot. Sorry, bat, that knows the English language and the skills to use a computer or phone.
I learned all these skills by myself, I was the best in my class. English isn't even my first language
Let me guess - Transylvanian? :lol:
TheBatOfWesternHall

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:14 pm Bat, where did you go to school? What languages do you speak? Do you have a slight lisp when you do speak?
Were you in the same fraternity with John McCarthy, Al Turing, Marv Minsky, Al Newell, and Herb Simon?
IIRC, I saw Herb Simon give a presentation in the University Union back in late 70s, early 80s.

I knew I was right. 1981 was the year.

I went to Monsters University with homies Mike and Sully, my first language is ancient Arabic. No I don't speak with a lisp how rude! All those people seem lame my frat brahs were cool
TheBatOfWesternHall

rocki wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 pm
TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:31 pm
vatusay wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:15 pm Got me, totally forgot. Sorry, bat, that knows the English language and the skills to use a computer or phone.
I learned all these skills by myself, I was the best in my class. English isn't even my first language
Let me guess - Transylvanian? :lol:
Transylvanian? Racist much? No my native language is ancient Arabic, then Egyptian Hieroglyphs, then English, obvi, then jive, I'm currently learning the language of a Zimbabwean tribe
Mr King

TheBatOfWesternHall wrote:
Mr King wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 pm
meganeck wrote: definitely a good guy and I'm sure he won't be out of a job long, someone will hire him as an assistant coach. He is a good recruiter so he'll land on his feet.
He sucks at recruiting can’t find high school players to come in have to find juco players. Almost ever kid only had one offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm back and I find this. The slander shown will not be tolerated. Not by the bat of Western Hall.
Well your son was not abused by him everyday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tere North

TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:00 pm I don't watch games, bats are blind genius. I have to use echolocation which is better than sight, I have the science to back it up. Open a book sometime. That's how I know I'm right and everyone else is wrong. They don't watch the games like I do.
Therein lies the problem, you rely on sound. Sound only travels at 343 meters/second. In contrast, light travels at 3x1010 m/s. Think about what you learned as a kid counting how far away lightning was. Light travels 186,000 miles/second, while sound takes 5 sec to travel 1 mile. Sonar is good enough when you have to operate blind, but nowhere as good as visual perception.
TheBatOfWesternHall

Tere North wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 am
TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:00 pm I don't watch games, bats are blind genius. I have to use echolocation which is better than sight, I have the science to back it up. Open a book sometime. That's how I know I'm right and everyone else is wrong. They don't watch the games like I do.
Therein lies the problem, you rely on sound. Sound only travels at 343 meters/second. In contrast, light travels at 3x1010 m/s. Think about what you learned as a kid counting how far away lightning was. Light travels 186,000 miles/second, while sound takes 5 sec to travel 1 mile. Sonar is good enough when you have to operate blind, but nowhere as good as visual perception.
Got Bill Nye over here, but hate to break it to you Sonar and echolocation aren't the same thing. Sonar is for lame whales and underwater creatures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4547011/ read that article to learn about echolocation and become more educated
TheBatOfWesternHall

Mr King wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:53 pm
TheBatOfWesternHall wrote:
Mr King wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 pm
He sucks at recruiting can’t find high school players to come in have to find juco players. Almost ever kid only had one offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm back and I find this. The slander shown will not be tolerated. Not by the bat of Western Hall.
Well your son was not abused by him everyday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He once threw a rock to get me off the court, but true I don't have kids.
Tere North

TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:56 am
Tere North wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 am
Got Bill Nye over here, but hate to break it to you Sonar and echolocation aren't the same thing. Sonar is for lame whales and underwater creatures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4547011/ read that article to learn about echolocation and become more educated
Look at the article again.
echolocation—an active sense that works as a sonar system

Therefore, it still depends on the much slower speed of sound.

Yes, there are advantages to vision in low contrast areas, continuous tracking of a single object, and estimation of speed and distance, but interference with noise is problematic as its detection range.

So if we turn down the lights, eliminate our fans, and play only half-court, then the Bat has a point. But then again, measure the value of that point with the Bat's assertion that Billy was a great coach.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 am So if we turn down the lights, eliminate our fans, and play only half-court...
We turn down the lights when they do player introductions and I think the last ~7 years has done a solid job on the second point, so we're about halfway there.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000