Western Michigan

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
meganeck

I see Western Michigan promoted one of their assistants to the head coaching job. The AD blamed the virus situation for not being able to do a national search. Seems kinda odd, haven't heard any other school having a problem and maybe this was just an excuse because the AD wanted to hire the assistant all along.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am I see Western Michigan promoted one of their assistants to the head coaching job. The AD blamed the virus situation for not being able to do a national search. Seems kinda odd, haven't heard any other school having a problem and maybe this was just an excuse because the AD wanted to hire the assistant all along.
Yeah, that would be my guess too. We did a search and found a solid candidate, likely without ever actually meeting in person. There's no reason they couldn't too, but the AD probably just wanted the assistant.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Yeah hiring an assistant from a coach that you just fired just doesn’t make sense and it’s not like he just got there he’s been on the staff for 20 years. Sounds like they were just trying to save money as Bates making a lot less.