WIU UNI Football at Modern Woodmen Park?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 am Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.
Is that instead of a game at Hanson Field or instead of a game at the UNIDome?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:58 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 am Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.
Yes
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22 pm
Yes
I mean, which one? Each year we go back and forth...one game here, one game there. Which team is going to give up their home game for one in the Quad Cities? I suppose whomever does would probably have in the contract that they'd get ticket sales and concessions or something.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Yes
I mean, which one? Each year we go back and forth...one game here, one game there. Which team is going to give up their home game for one in the Quad Cities? I suppose whomever does would probably have in the contract that they'd get ticket sales and concessions or something.
Just split the revenue 50-50 every year. May not be a lot of revenue as it would cost to rent the facility.
Western_101

I think it is fine for high school football. Peoria's Midwest League(A) minor league team plays their home games at Dozer Park capacity 7,500. Peoria's Notre Dame high school has been scheduling one game per season at Dozer Park for a number of years now.

I don't like that so much of the playing surface for the football set up is comprised of the infield dirt. Football is meant to be played on grass or turf.

Another factor, playing D-I football in a 5,000 capacity (give or take) baseball field doesn't exactly add to the perception that WIU and UNI are D-I. I think if anything it would re-enforce the perception that many have that WIU plays at the D-II level.

I say leave Modern Woodman to the Minor League baseball and the occasional high school football games.

I do like the Idea of playing one men's basketball game a year at Taxslayer Arena. Iowa or UNI would be the obvious preferred opponents.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote:I do like the Idea of playing one men's basketball game a year at Taxslayer Arena. Iowa or UNI would be the obvious preferred opponents.
I agree. There's much better options for basketball in the QC area than D1 football. I think NIU could also be a good opponent for a game at the arena in Moline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:18 pm
Western_101 wrote:I do like the Idea of playing one men's basketball game a year at Taxslayer Arena. Iowa or UNI would be the obvious preferred opponents.
I agree. There's much better options for basketball in the QC area than D1 football. I think NIU could also be a good opponent for a game at the arena in Moline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. A hoops game at the Taxslayer is much needed given the QC Campus nearby. Make it a recruiting event. Free admission for prospective students and family.
Pokitren

Good thing that when I play football on PS4 (https://www.playstation.com/en-au/games/ea-sports-fifa-21-home), all these organizational issues don't come up at all. :) :D

Do well or do not do at all.