R U Ready For Some PickEm?

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 pm ST, I am so bored during this quarantine I have plenty of time to work on the next generation of the Pickem game. Moving away from the Google Cloud to a GoDaddy Ubuntu virtual server running Node JS/Express, Pug template engine, and Sqlite as the backend datastore. Should be faster and more maintainable. The only issue I see right now is that Sqlite does not really support pivot tables which were a key feature of the Google spreadsheet approach. There does appear to be a workaround using sqlite virtual tables though. We shall see.

Fingers crossed there is a football season this year.
Well that's pretty awesome. Let me know if you need any help with testing or anything. Probably can't help much on the programming front (I'm mostly php and just dabble a little in JS), but I'll help with what I can.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 pm ST, I am so bored during this quarantine I have plenty of time to work on the next generation of the Pickem game. Moving away from the Google Cloud to a GoDaddy Ubuntu virtual server running Node JS/Express, Pug template engine, and Sqlite as the backend datastore. Should be faster and more maintainable. The only issue I see right now is that Sqlite does not really support pivot tables which were a key feature of the Google spreadsheet approach. There does appear to be a workaround using sqlite virtual tables though. We shall see.

Fingers crossed there is a football season this year.
Well that's pretty awesome. Let me know if you need any help with testing or anything. Probably can't help much on the programming front (I'm mostly php and just dabble a little in JS), but I'll help with what I can.
ST, here is a little update. Taking longer than I thought to make progress. A little of a learning curve on Node with its asynchronous nature and having to code up things with javascript "promises". It was totally weird to code up something and have the last line of code executed before stuff above it. But, thats why callbacks and more recently, "Promises" were invented. The SQLlite database is very fast. I am scraping games and scores from the NCAA web site and loading them into database much faster than was done with the Google spreadsheets. SQLite also allows computed collumns and triggers which are equivalent to spreadsheet formulas. Next week, I hope to get into the user interface issues.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Getting close to having a production-ready pickem game. Still needs some styling and color and all that jazz. I thought I would give you a look at what I have. No more Google sheets as the lead in to the pick sheet. The picks sheet itself should look very familiar. I have 10 users you can play around with. Passwords for user1, user2, ... are pass1, pass2, pass3, ... respectively. user1, 3, 5, ... have special admin privileges and can do things like reset the password for other users (see the Players nav bar tab) This thing is blazing fast compared to the old Google speadsheet version. Almost too good to be true. Hopefully, with the Sqlite database, peformance will not deteriorate as the weeks go by like happened with the spreadsheet approach. Note that I am debating about whether or not to incorporate those weekly bonus games. Thoughts about that?

Here is a link to try it out:
http://ip-198-12-248-7.ip.secureserver.net:3000/mvfc
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:59 am Getting close to having a production-ready pickem game. Still needs some styling and color and all that jazz. I thought I would give you a look at what I have. No more Google sheets as the lead in to the pick sheet. The picks sheet itself should look very familiar. I have 10 users you can play around with. Passwords for user1, user2, ... are pass1, pass2, pass3, ... respectively. user1, 3, 5, ... have special admin privileges and can do things like reset the password for other users (see the Players nav bar tab) This thing is blazing fast compared to the old Google speadsheet version. Almost too good to be true. Hopefully, with the Sqlite database, peformance will not deteriorate as the weeks go by like happened with the spreadsheet approach. Note that I am debating about whether or not to incorporate those weekly bonus games. Thoughts about that?

Tells me it can’t be reached
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:59 am Getting close to having a production-ready pickem game. Still needs some styling and color and all that jazz. I thought I would give you a look at what I have. No more Google sheets as the lead in to the pick sheet. The picks sheet itself should look very familiar. I have 10 users you can play around with. Passwords for user1, user2, ... are pass1, pass2, pass3, ... respectively. user1, 3, 5, ... have special admin privileges and can do things like reset the password for other users (see the Players nav bar tab) This thing is blazing fast compared to the old Google speadsheet version. Almost too good to be true. Hopefully, with the Sqlite database, peformance will not deteriorate as the weeks go by like happened with the spreadsheet approach. Note that I am debating about whether or not to incorporate those weekly bonus games. Thoughts about that?

Hmmm, seems like it did crash an hour or so ago. I restarted it. You still having the problem?
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:27 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Hmmm, seems like it did crash an hour or so ago. I restarted it. You still having the problem?
looks good now
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I like it...much faster.
I wonder if it would be good to take users back to the logged-in "Home" page after they've submitted them, rather than leaving them on the pick selection page. Or at least give them a link to go back to the main page.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:00 pm

I like it...much faster.
I wonder if it would be good to take users back to the logged-in "Home" page after they've submitted them, rather than leaving them on the pick selection page. Or at least give them a link to go back to the main page.
Definitely a good idea instead of leaving them hanging in limbo there. Also, I think I have an issue with mult-user session management to fix.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:03 pm

I like it...much faster.
Definitely a good idea instead of leaving them hanging in limbo there. Also, I think I have an issue with mult-user session management to fix.
New version is out there. Made some changes so that app works more like a "single page" web app when interacting with the login, profile, and registration forms. After submit of picks, user can return to Home or stay put to make more piciks. Still some cleaning and prettying up of the other pages to do.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:03 pm

I like it...much faster.
New version is out there. Made some changes so that app works more like a "single page" web app when interacting with the login, profile, and registration forms. After submit of picks, user can return to Home or stay put to make more piciks. Still some cleaning and prettying up of the other pages to do.
Made a few more changes mostly in the area of session management. No longer using cookies. Nothing against them, but I could not get them to work for me the way I wanted them to. I want to be able to fire up multiple browsers on one computer and do testing. For the life of me, I could not get it to work. Seems you get one cookie per web site. That might make sense for Amazon and how they manage your shopping cart, but not good for me.