2020 Season

wiu712

The Big 12's athletic directors were split Friday while meeting to recommend which scheduling model the conference should use in a 2020 season that remains in flux amid the coronavirus pandemic. The conference is currently considering two primary options: a complete 12-game season or a 10-game schedule including one non-conference opponent.

In the 12-game model, the Big 12 would play its nine league opponents in its traditional round-robin format along with three non-conference opponents. In the 10-game model, it is believed the Big 12 would play its conference schedule along with one non-conference game that would take place before the league slate begins, likely on Sept. 19 or Sept. 26.

Big 12 athletic directors spoke Friday afternoon on a conference call. Their formal recommendations will be forwarded to the league's presidents for further discussion. That presidents meeting is set for Monday.
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 pm The Big 12's athletic directors were split Friday while meeting to recommend which scheduling model the conference should use in a 2020 season that remains in flux amid the coronavirus pandemic. The conference is currently considering two primary options: a complete 12-game season or a 10-game schedule including one non-conference opponent.

In the 12-game model, the Big 12 would play its nine league opponents in its traditional round-robin format along with three non-conference opponents. In the 10-game model, it is believed the Big 12 would play its conference schedule along with one non-conference game that would take place before the league slate begins, likely on Sept. 19 or Sept. 26.

Big 12 athletic directors spoke Friday afternoon on a conference call. Their formal recommendations will be forwarded to the league's presidents for further discussion. That presidents meeting is set for Monday.
Sounds like there going to do the 9+1
wiu712

The Big 12 Board of Directors announced that Conference football programs will play a “9+1” schedule for the 2020 season consisting of nine conference games and one non-conference home opponent.

The start of Conference play will be solidified in the coming weeks, with an anticipated start sometime between mid to late September, with the expectation that non-conference games are contested prior to beginning league games.

The model also gives the Conference flexibility to move back the Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship game to December 12 or 19 (from December 5).

Oklahoma State currently has 2 non-conference games on their schedule:
September 12 vs Tulsa.
September 19 vs Western.
WIU2DC

wiu712 wrote:The Big 12 Board of Directors announced that Conference football programs will play a “9+1” schedule for the 2020 season consisting of nine conference games and one non-conference home opponent.

The start of Conference play will be solidified in the coming weeks, with an anticipated start sometime between mid to late September, with the expectation that non-conference games are contested prior to beginning league games.

The model also gives the Conference flexibility to move back the Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship game to December 12 or 19 (from December 5).

September 12 vs Tulsa.
September 19 vs Western.
No way they drop Tulsa to play us, I’m pretty sure Tulsa is a rivalry for them.

Edit: Eastern has Sept 19th as a bye, and they lost their FBS game to Kentucky too. Unless we can get a payday game, we should fill Oklahoma State with EIU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
letsgonecks

WIU2DC wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm
wiu712 wrote:The Big 12 Board of Directors announced that Conference football programs will play a “9+1” schedule for the 2020 season consisting of nine conference games and one non-conference home opponent.

September 12 vs Tulsa.
September 19 vs Western.
No way they drop Tulsa to play us, I’m pretty sure Tulsa is a rivalry for them.

Edit: Eastern has Sept 19th as a bye, and they lost their FBS game to Kentucky too. Unless we can get a payday game, we should fill Oklahoma State with EIU.

The only chance they drop Tulsa is if their guarantee payout is much larger than ours. Not being able to fill the stands will hurt and money is a huge concern right now. Not sure if TV dollars will pay into this equation either, but probably a better chance to be televised vs Tulsa.

I like the EIU idea.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

OSU football: Tulsa appears most likely non-conference opponent for Cowboys.
From the Oklahoma City Oklahoman:
https://oklahoman.com/article/5668331/o ... or-cowboys
WIU2DC

wiu712 wrote:OSU football: Tulsa appears most likely non-conference opponent for Cowboys.
How I took that article is WIU will still get a little money out of OSU or did I misread that?

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:
wiu712 wrote:OSU football: Tulsa appears most likely non-conference opponent for Cowboys.
How I took that article is WIU will still get a little money out of OSU or did I misread that?

Hard to say at this point. Depends on how it all shakes out with the pandemic and contracts. Does it count as an "act of God" or is it OSU essentially backing out of the agreement (even if it's conference-mandated) because they are playing some games?

I think at the least WIU gets reimbursed for any travel costs they would have accrued, but IDK about the "guarantee" that usually comes along with the contracts.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LeatherCy

Read today the Sun Belt will allow their schools to play four non conference games. Our AD should be on the phone with Sun Belt schools. EIU would bring back an old rivalry also.