Do we want a "Rock" Hanson Head Football Coach?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

Denver is in town for the Summit League soccer championship.  I see the official title of their HC is:

The Jack and Sheila Weinberg Head Men's Soccer Coach

Maybe this is just me.  I dont have a problem with naming a court or field or room or some other inanimate object after the famous or rich but I think plastering their name(s) into the official working title for a coach crosses the line.  I am seeing more and more of this in college sports.  What does it all mean?  They are indirectly contributing to his/her salary?  They have some say in who the next coach is going to be?  
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:09 am Denver is in town for the Summit League soccer championship.  I see the official title of their HC is:

Maybe this is just me.  I dont have a problem with naming a court or field or room or some other inanimate object after the famous or rich but I think plastering their name(s) into the official working title for a coach crosses the line.  I am seeing more and more of this in college sports.  What does it all mean?  They are indirectly contributing to his/her salary?  They have some say in who the next coach is going to be?  

Kinda creepy, I think. Totally smacks of bought and paid for - and that doesn't sit well with me, anyway.
Western_101

I guess if it's Jack and Shelia, I'm probably inclined to refer to the Coach as Shelia, I mean it's part of the title of being bought and paid for. 
sealhall74

Upon further review, if endowed faculty positions (chairs, professorships, etc.) are OK, why not endowed coaching positions?

What would "Rock" think?

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:09 am Denver is in town for the Summit League soccer championship.  I see the official title of their HC is:

Usually it just means that the trust that they've set up covers the annual salary of the head coach. They have a foundation (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... /455437500) and live in Chicago, but Jack at least (idk about Sheila) is a Denver alum. I doubt they have much say in who the coach is when they go to hire someone (at least, no more than any other large athletics booster does).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000