Head Coaching Search

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Might get a chance to see him in action this weekend at the Army-Navy game.  I would think the TEs have to make some key blocks in the Triple Option scheme, although looking at roster, only 3 listed TEs.  Amazing how many of their players got that free year at the Army Prep School.  I guess there is really no such thing as a Red Shirt year for these guys and gals.  You get your degree in four years and you are gone.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Coyote53 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:45 am Anyone heard the name Travis Johansen during the search? Heard from a pretty reliable source he’s been pulled into this. Not sure why he’d make that move but we finally are playing good defense. We CANNOT afford that now!! All are welcome over on the USD proboards to talk some MVFC Football. 

I haven't, but then the only ones I've heard of are the ones Leatherneck57 posted early as being interested in the job. As to who has actually sent in applications/resumes, I'm in the dark. Maybe someone else can fill you in.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

I think he would be a great hire, obviously don't know who else is a candidate, but I think Matt has to be at the top of the list. I know Drinkall tweeted that Matt Myers of Kansas Wesleyan who received the assistant coach of the year for NAIA is his best friend. So i would think if he got the job, he might bring him to WIU. 
meganeck

If they are wanting to announce a coach by Mid-December, I assume they might have their finalists narrowed down and would hopefully be bringing some of them on campus to show them around.
rocki

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:24 am If they are wanting to announce a coach by Mid-December, I assume they might have their finalists narrowed down and would hopefully be bringing some of them on campus to show them around.

One would hope, but they're keeping things pretty quiet it seems. Unless somebody here knows something and is holding out.......... :D

leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:33 pm
meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:24 am If they are wanting to announce a coach by Mid-December, I assume they might have their finalists narrowed down and would hopefully be bringing some of them on campus to show them around.

One would hope, but they're keeping things pretty quiet it seems. Unless somebody here knows something and is holding out.......... :D

The kept the Jeter hire pretty quiet as well. I knew coach Jeter was linked to us in February but it was pretty quiet overall.

rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:26 pm
rocki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:33 pm

The kept the Jeter hire pretty quiet as well. I knew coach Jeter was linked to us in February but it was pretty quiet overall.

Let's hope we get as good a hire as he has been!!!!!

Western_101

What do you suppose the new coaches contract will look like?  I'm guessing four years at 200k per, with incentives for winning the conference, getting to/advancing in playoffs et cetera. I'm basing that off of what we can afford which is 50k :lol: but seriously what is the max we could shell out? around 200k?, which seems probably OK if our top candidates are G-5 position coaches, albeit with good resumes.

I know we were on the lower side of pay with Coach Molinari. Considering the state of the basketball program and a lesser pay he got the five year guarantee (or was it six?). 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:34 pm What do you suppose the new coaches contract will look like?  I'm guessing four years at 200k per, with incentives for winning the conference, getting to/advancing in playoffs et cetera. I'm basing that off of what we can afford which is 50k :lol: but seriously what is the max we could shell out? around 200k?, which seems probably OK if our top candidates are G-5 position coaches, albeit with good resumes.

I know we were on the lower side of pay with Coach Molinari. Considering the state of the basketball program and a lesser pay he got the five year guarantee (or was it six?).

200k sounds probably about right. It's a bit more than what we were paying Coach Elliott, but if we get a solid hire, it'd be worth it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Nick Hill makes 175 a year we need to be at least right about there.