Spring Sports

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
meganeck

Hopefully they get things figured out come conference time, but right now its not looking good for the baseball and softball teams. Right now they are a combined 5-26.
4EverPurple&Gold

Getting caught up with wiu spring sports and wow. this needs to change, it is embarrassing. 
sealhall74

I think this site really needs a "dashboard" for all sports.  All it would take is a quick glance to see if we are trending up or down of late.  Could incorporate various things in addition to W-L records like recruits offered/committed, noteworth stats and rankings.  Maybe we could get Princeton/Yale Prof Ed Tufte (ET) to design us the right look for the dashboard or at least incorporate his ideas.  I attended his 1 day seminar  on the visual display of quantitative information quite a few years ago.  ET  has written a couple of new books since then.  Highly recommended if you get the chance to take his course or invest in his books. 

https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

baseball: 2-19
softball: 5-21
tennis: 2-8

9-48.... 
sealhall74

It has been a very tough spring across the board, especially true in conference play.  We are "rudderless" right now for lack of a better term.
The highlight of ORU series this weekend was the Pres throwing out the first pitch and it was high and hard.

wiu712

Women's Tennis finished the spring season with a 3-11 record (0-6 in the Summit League).

meganeck

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:03 pm It has been a very tough spring across the board, especially true in conference play.  We are "rudderless" right now for lack of a better term.
The highlight of ORU series this weekend was the Pres throwing out the first pitch and it was high and hard.

I've never felt more helpless for all sports at WIU. Besides maybe women's soccer which just had a decent season, All of the sports programs are pretty depressing right now. I know there is a little excitement with the football program because of the new coaching staff, otherwise, things seem to stink. Hopefully they get a decent AD hired and he can get something figured out.
Neckfansince71

I just keep saying, "it is what it is!"  Compared to other seasons, we did have a pretty good men's basketball season even though the finish was not what we all had envisioned. ;)jc

sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:07 am I just keep saying, "it is what it is!"  Compared to other seasons, we did have a pretty good men's basketball season even though the finish was not what we all had envisioned. ;)jc

I am a numbers guy.  One of the questions I would certainly ask the new AD is specifically what performance level would be considered "acceptible" for team sports.  If he/she says anything less than .500 W-L%, "Next".  Granted, if you are rebuilding a program, it may take a couple of years to get there.
wiu712

Western Softball finished their season today with a 8-37 record (4-17 in the Summit League).

Western finished in last place in the conference.