FCS Conference Shuffling

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
wiu712

It's a long way from Murray, Kentucky to Fargo and Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Maybe the MVFC will go to a North and South divisional format ???

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:32 am It's a long way from Murray, Kentucky to Fargo and Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Maybe the MVFC will go to a North and South divisional format ???

Scheduling gets pretty complicated with 12 teams and you throw in all of the "must play rivalry" games.  
Records kind of take a back burner to strength of schedule when it comes to who makes the playoffs.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Is the MVFC the lone single sport conference in all of the NCAA?  I cant think of any others.  I guess there are a handful strictly hockey.

And lest we not forget about the Pioneer Football League.   :lol:

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:56 am Is the MVFC the lone single sport conference in all of the NCAA?  I cant think of any others.  I guess there are a handful strictly hockey.

And lest we not forget about the Pioneer Football League.   :lol:

I believe the MVFC and Pioneer League are it for football-only conferences, at least at the DI level.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Stonehill College (Easton, MA) has announced they are moving to DI (currently are DII) and joining the NEC.
It's a private catholic college a bit south of Boston with about 2500 students.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

And for the curious, someone over at reddit put together a nice rundown of all the upcoming changes in FCS membership so far:
meganeck

I saw on Twitter there was someone lobbying for WIU and YSU to be kicked out of MVFC. Said they were the 2 oddballs location wise.
rocki

meganeck wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:41 am I saw on Twitter there was someone lobbying for WIU and YSU to be kicked out of MVFC. Said they were the 2 oddballs location wise.

My point of view is the Dakotas are the oddball locations.  :lol:

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:41 am I saw on Twitter there was someone lobbying for WIU and YSU to be kicked out of MVFC. Said they were the 2 oddballs location wise.

I saw those posts as well. Really, it doesn't matter much what a few people on twitter think. Conference membership is ultimately up to the conference presidents, probably with a lot of input from the AD's.
It's possible the 4 Dakota schools might choose to vote us out, but I highly doubt the rest of the conference would. We have too much history with them.

Also, in terms of location "oddballs", I don't see how we're anywhere close to that. YSU...sure. The North Dakota schools...yup. Us...not even close.

The geographic midpoint of the MVFC with Murray State is right around the border between Wisconsin and Illinois, just north of Rockford. That means that the schools closest to the geographic midpoint of the conference are...UNI, ILSU, and WIU.