2022 Season

meganeck

rocki wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:27 am
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:15 am Also, on Mo State.  They have come a long way fast, but they also have a horrible culture right now.  We thought we had a lot of kids in the portal, they are probably twice the numbers we were.  We'll see what they replace those kids with.  

I didn't realize that - I guess I'm not up on what the other MVFC teams have as far as kids in the portal. Makes one's head spin, for sure.

I didn't realize that either, but no surprise about the culture, look who their coach is, I don't think morals top the list of his qualities.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU begins fall camp with 'open competition at every position':
https://www.chicagonow.com/prairie-stat ... -position/
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Ok, so we're exactly 3 weeks away from kickoff.  I'm intrigued and excited, but not sure about what.  We've had 1 story prior to camp, 2 short nothing videos on twitter and 1 person added to the roster (Donald Mckinney).

I say it every year, that I understand sharing more content doesn't make our team better, but you need to give love to your fan base and do whatever you can to build on it.  It's really tough being a WIU sports fan and was really hoping the new HC would make a huge push to promote and push out content to fans.

I know it takes man power and money to put out legit content every day and even update the roster, but more that just 2 short and really nothing videos wouldn't be tough.  I'm sure Myers has a long term goal to improve this and his main focus is on getting his team ready, but just bugs me every damn year.

I'm not going anywhere and neither are the other diehards out there, but maybe we're losing and have lost those half hearted fans over the years and not locking in new ones.  When teams like Indiana State and EIU are destroying you in coverage, it's not good.

GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:17 am Ok, so we're exactly 3 weeks away from kickoff.  I'm intrigued and excited, but not sure about what.  We've had 1 story prior to camp, 2 short nothing videos on twitter and 1 person added to the roster (Donald Mckinney).

I say it every year, that I understand sharing more content doesn't make our team better, but you need to give love to your fan base and do whatever you can to build on it.  It's really tough being a WIU sports fan and was really hoping the new HC would make a huge push to promote and push out content to fans.

I know it takes man power and money to put out legit content every day and even update the roster, but more that just 2 short and really nothing videos wouldn't be tough.  I'm sure Myers has a long term goal to improve this and his main focus is on getting his team ready, but just bugs me every damn year.

I'm not going anywhere and neither are the other diehards out there, but maybe we're losing and have lost those half hearted fans over the years and not locking in new ones.  When teams like Indiana State and EIU are destroying you in coverage, it's not good.

^^100%^^
Necks2003

Glad to see the 2002 squad getting celebrated this year. I was at that WKU game in the playoffs and that fight at the end was beyond wild. I mostly remember their crazy sledgehammer being flung all over the place. Luckily no major injuries were suffered from what I recall.
letsgonecks

Necks2003 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:53 pm Glad to see the 2002 squad getting celebrated this year. I was at that WKU game in the playoffs and that fight at the end was beyond wild. I mostly remember their crazy sledgehammer being flung all over the place. Luckily no major injuries were suffered from what I recall.

Pretty sure Lee lost a tooth, hit by a helmet and not the sledge.  Next game against Georgia Southern would have been tough and same with the Championship game, but could have been the year.

Hoping we can surprise everyone like they did.  Not saying be a play away from the semi's, but compete every game.  So much unknown, but feels like we have some pieces and I'm very optimistic about the staff and their preparation and discipline.  Not sure what was wrong with our team the last 2 years, but loaded with talent and just didn't seem prepared or disciplined. 

Neckfansince71

As I recall, (Lyle - not sure this is the correct first name) Irish, strong safety from Macomb lost his cool during the post game festivities and had to be restrained by a coach.  He never put on the Purple and Gold again.  Bizarre afternoon to say the least.  The stranger afternoon was the "snow game" at Colgate.  jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:28 am As I recall, (Lyle - not sure this is the correct first name) Irish, strong safety from Macomb lost his cool during the post game festivities and had to be restrained by a coach.  He never put on the Purple and Gold again.  Bizarre afternoon to say the least.  The stranger afternoon was the "snow game" at Colgate.  jc

Ryle Irish. He owns a barbershop north of Peoria (Wyoming, IL) now and does a bit of singing/songwriting.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks

I know we'll eventually get a game thread and since mine wouldn't be as masterful as Lawson's, I'll just put here.

UT Martin just lost their top sack guy from last year and former Alabama 5 start Eyabi Anoma.  He only started 5 of his 12 games last year, but is obviously a stud and I was concerned for starting Tackles.  He's seemed to have issues at every stop and is now back in the transfer portal for the 3rd time.  They're still going to be tough on D, but he would have likely been a problem for us.