Is the HC's seat starting to get a little warm?

LeatherCy

HIs recruiting has really slipped. Look at Scott's figures again. A good friend told me of a referee who does Western Big 6 games and some games in the Quad Cities on both sides of the river who had supplied JD with names of players he has seen in games he has refed. The ref would ask the coach next time he had their game if he had heard from JD. Not one time over at least a couple year did JD follow up. 
meganeck

If this was addressed elsewhere and I missed it, I apologize but what happened to Ashley McGee, one of their assistants. I see she isn't listed and I thought I didn't see her on the bench. That is another thing they have had a turnover in the coaching staff, none of the assistants are still here that were here during the 2-3 yr run we had.

Looking back at the class that came in after Clemens graduated, Only Lutz and Flores stayed, the other 4 either transferred or gave up basketball. LIke I said earlier they didn't seem to capitalize (recruiting wise) on the good seasons they had. I'm sure there are multiple reasons why but still disappointing.

Lutz
Mackenzie Rogers
Jinda Guidinger
Payton Courier
Kyra Washington
Carla Flores
sealhall74

Winning half of the conference games in any sport in the Summit/MVFC IS a very successful season for us.
The flagship Dakota schools along with newcomer St. Thomas have too much going for them right now.
Facilities just one, but also location.  They get the best talent in the Dakota states and most of the best from
next door MN (a small handful will play for MN in the B1G).  Sports are right up there alongside
hunting, fishing, and religion in their part of the world.  The winters are long and what else is there to do
indoors but play basketball.  Sure, there will be an occasional "one-off" for other schools like us.  I think
the ORU success in Men's ball is basically a "two-off" for them until Mills moves on, probably after this
year.  Just got back from the tournament and I have been there quite a few times since retirement.
You go up there and talk with the natives.  You will come away with the same feelings as mine.  IMHO,
the only thing  I see that could significantly raise our .500 bar of success is a move to the OVC.

Embrace the pace of the race.
LeatherCy

From what I understand we took a serious look at the OVC last year. I'm not sure if Paul was on board or not but the OVC had schools leaving, Belmont and Murray State went to the MVC and maybe a couple more left, not sure. We decided to wait. From a geographic standpoint it would be a lot of sense. EIU was a big rival back in the day. SIU-E is a short drive etc. We'll see. Right now I believe our WBB program needs to be addressed. 
4EverPurple&Gold

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:57 am Winning half of the conference games in any sport in the Summit/MVFC IS a very successful season for us.
The flagship Dakota schools along with newcomer St. Thomas have too much going for them right now.
Facilities just one, but also location.  They get the best talent in the Dakota states and most of the best from
next door MN (a small handful will play for MN in the B1G).  Sports are right up there alongside
hunting, fishing, and religion in their part of the world.  The winters are long and what else is there to do
indoors but play basketball.  Sure, there will be an occasional "one-off" for other schools like us.  I think
the ORU success in Men's ball is basically a "two-off" for them until Mills moves on, probably after this
year.  Just got back from the tournament and I have been there quite a few times since retirement.
You go up there and talk with the natives.  You will come away with the same feelings as mine.  IMHO,
the only thing  I see that could significantly raise our .500 bar of success is a move to the OVC.

I agree... lets face it. We are the ugly stephchild of the Summit League.

Time to move to the OVC.

bignecks

I like JD because he seems to like it here. He's not racing to get out of town like many other coaches do when in a job like this. I feel similar to others about recruiting, it seems like there is a character type he likes to bring in and I have to assume that comes at the cost of not having potentially better players with other character types. Ultimately I think he's a very good on the floor coach. This year we lost our two best players. It was going to be a down year. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I want him to stay right now. 
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:57 am Winning half of the conference games in any sport in the Summit/MVFC IS a very successful season for us.

Add to that the fact that there are only 2 D1 schools in both North and South Dakota, compared to 13 in IL. Financing never hurts when it comes to sports.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:03 pm

Add to that the fact that there are only 2 D1 schools in both North and South Dakota, compared to 13 in IL. Financing never hurts when it comes to sports.

And they out-recruit us for top-notch talent right under our noses (e.g. QB Mark Gronowski from Naperville only D1 offer came from SDSU).
He could certainly start for every D1 except maybe the B1Gers.  NDSU has 2 QBs from Chicago area waiting in the wings.  Remains to be seen how good they will be.

Embrace the pace of the race.
LeatherCy

Runner up for Ms Basketball in IL last year as a Jr at LIncoln just committed to Colorado State. Her mother is from Bushnell. Had an ACL injury a year ago or she would have been Power 5 material I was told by a Power 5 Coach. 
leatherneckcountry

LeatherCy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:13 am Runner up for Ms Basketball in IL last year as a Jr at LIncoln just committed to Colorado State. Her mother is from Bushnell. Had an ACL injury a year ago or she would have been Power 5 material I was told by a Power 5 Coach. 

Yep she broke a state record for most points in a game at the state tournament comes from a great family. I’ve known her family since she was little I don’t believe wiu even showed any interest.