Women's Bowling

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:32 pm
sealhall74 wrote:
wiu712 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:22 pm A recent Feasibility Study for the University Union had suggested moving the Bowling Center back to its original location:  the basement of the 1962 University Union building.

That way the current Bowling Center space in the basement of the 1968 University Union addition could be converted into space for other activities.

So far no action has been taken to implement that change.

Is that the space that was occupied by the billiards room at one time.  That was a pretty good size area.

If it’s the student organization center, then I think it’d be the room further back. Down the hall past the old billiards room and to the right. I don’t know that for sure though, I only remember that room as a riverboat-themed lounge before they turned it into the student organization center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The billiard/game room I remember, I would walk past the lounge on the left and make hard right to get there.  
IIRC - Its only been about 45 to 50 years since making that journey.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:19 pmIs that the space that was occupied by the billiards room at one time.  That was a pretty good size area.

Yes --  The Billiards Room was in the space that had been an 8-lane bowling center.

That space is now the Student Organization Center.

The former "Mississippi Room" on the basement level just re-opened as "The Neck".  It does have a pool table.
https://www.wiu.edu/student_success/uni ... heNeck.php

bignecks

In the baseball broadcast yesterday Bubb said that we would playing at the local lanes in Macomb. Also said we would likely play in the quad cities too. He said that the equipment in the union is unusable and implied it would have to be fully rebuilt to be used. He supports doing this, but it seemed like he viewed that as a down the road, if we can, type thing. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:50 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:19 pmIs that the space that was occupied by the billiards room at one time.  That was a pretty good size area.

Yes --  The Billiards Room was in the space that had been an 8-lane bowling center.

That space is now the Student Organization Center.

The former "Mississippi Room" on the basement level just re-opened as "The Neck".  It does have a pool table.
https://www.wiu.edu/student_success/uni ... heNeck.php

Here's how it was shortly after I was a student...

"The Neck" is now in the room where Billiards is labeled on the above map. When I was a student, the Student Organizations Center was the Mississippi Lounge. I remember specifically because my HS had Prom and After-Prom at the Union and during After-Prom, you could play pool in the Billiards Room, go Bowling, play video games, and they had snacks and karaoke in the Mississippi Lounge (and other stuff upstairs). I remember attempting to sing Hotel California in that room at the end of my senior year of HS.
bignecks wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:32 pm In the baseball broadcast yesterday Bubb said that we would playing at the local lanes in Macomb. Also said we would likely play in the quad cities too. He said that the equipment in the union is unusable and implied it would have to be fully rebuilt to be used. He supports doing this, but it seemed like he viewed that as a down the road, if we can, type thing. 

That's too bad, but I figured that was probably the case. It's been too long since it's been used. It would be nice to have some kind of bowling alley back in the union again at some point down the road. Hopefully the team can be successful enough to warrant it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

In that diagram of the Union Basement, the space labeled "Student Organization Center" was where the original 8-lane bowling center was located in the 1962 building.

When the bowling center moved into the 1968 addition, the space that it vacated was turned into a Pool, Billiards, and Game area.

The University Union was constructed in 2 phases.  The original 1962 building is on the west side.  And the 1968 addition is attached to it on the east side.

The 16-lane bowling center, the Bookstore, the Grand Ballroom, and the Hotel are all a part of that 1968 addition.

The original Ballroom is on the 2nd floor of the 1962 building.  It is now called the "Heritage Room".

The current Food Court was called The Tract originally.  The big concourse that runs between the Food Court and the Bookstore sort of marks the spot where the 1968 addition was added on to the original 1962 building.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:32 pm In that diagram of the Union Basement, the space labeled "Student Organization Center" was where the original 8-lane bowling center was located in the 1962 building.

When the bowling center moved into the 1968 addition, the space that it vacated was turned into a Pool, Billiards, and Game area.

The University Union was constructed in 2 phases.  The original 1962 building is on the west side.  And the 1968 addition is attached to it on the east side.

The 16-lane bowling center, the Bookstore, the Grand Ballroom, and the Hotel are all a part of that 1968 addition.

The original Ballroom is on the 2nd floor of the 1962 building.  It is now called the "Heritage Room".

The current Food Court was called The Tract originally.  The big concourse that runs between the Food Court and the Bookstore sort of marks the spot where the 1968 addition was added on to the original 1962 building.

Ah, ok. So the space that you were referring to as the "billiards area" is now the Student Organization Center and is where the Mississippi Lounge was before that.
The space I knew as the "billiards area" is a different space (the one labeled as such on the map).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

When the 1968 addition was completed, a new 16-lane bowling center was added.  The existing 8-lane bowling center in the original 1962 building was converted into a Pool & Billiards area.

The Mississippi Room was part of the 1968 addition.  It was originally set up as a lounge area with chairs and tables.  It was designed to be used as a small entertainment area for performances -- singers, poets, etc.  It was decorated as if it were a lounge on a Mississippi Riverboat. 

Then sometime in the 80's or 90's, the Mississippi Room became the Billiards area that is shown in the diagram.  And the Student Organization Center moved into where the Pool & Billiards area had been (the basement of the 1962 building and former site of the 8-lane bowling center).

I was going to Western when the 1968 addition was being built and when it opened.