Renewing the rivalry with EIU

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

If you want to establish a true rivalry, you have to charter a fan bus to the away game and maybe put a keg of beer on it if its still legal.  Make a tradition so time-honored that people sign up months in advance.  My Dad and I experienced that circa 1970 or so.  IIRC, the Lions Club in Quad Cities chartered a bus to STL for a Cubs/Cardinals game.  I was not old enough to drink but I won a bottle of Cold Duck they raffled away.  Several drank so much on way down they were passed out by time we rolled past the Arch.  Even ran into my Uncle from Hamilton at the concession stand, we had no idea he was at the game.  Next day, I uncorked that bottle of Cold Duck or you might say it uncorked me.  Cork flew up and hit the ceiling in our kitchen and put at dent in it.  Those memorable times never would have happened without that charter bus.

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:12 pm
If you want to establish a true rivalry, you have to charter a fan bus to the away game and maybe put a keg of beer on it if its still legal.  Make a tradition so time-honored that people sign up months in advance.  My Dad and I experienced that circa 1970 or so.  IIRC, the Lions Club in Quad Cities chartered a bus to STL for a Cubs/Cardinals game.  I was not old enough to drink but I won a bottle of Cold Duck they raffled away.  Several drank so much on way down they were passed out by time we rolled past the Arch.  Even ran into my Uncle from Hamilton at the concession stand, we had no idea he was at the game.  Next day, I uncorked that bottle of Cold Duck or you might say it uncorked me.  Cork flew up and hit the ceiling in our kitchen and put at dent in it.  Those memorable times never would have happened without that charter bus.

I'm sure you could find party buses somewhere.
may know

The author of that article, Dan Verdun, has written football books on ISU, NIU, EIU, & SIU. 

Hopefully he writes one about WIU.  ;)

screamingeaglepride

I think Western Illinois and Eastern Illinois should start a traveling trophy for football. The winning team would keep the trophy for a year.
sealhall74

screamingeaglepride wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:42 am I think Western Illinois and Eastern Illinois should start a traveling trophy for football. The winning team would keep the trophy for a year.

They could probably pass around the same "Old Railsplitter Axe" they currently use for basketball.  Good for all sports.  
Although you might not want to bring the axe on the football field for historical reasons.   :lol:

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnew ... 1200%2C800

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

screamingeaglepride wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:42 am I think Western Illinois and Eastern Illinois should start a traveling trophy for football. The winning team would keep the trophy for a year.

So, wasn't there something mentioned about the "Corn Bowl" way back in the day?
wiu712

The Corn Bowl was a college football bowl game played from 1947 until 1955 in central Illinois. The first game was played November 27, 1947 in Normal, Illinois between Southern Illinois and North Central of Illinois.

Its final game was played November 24, 1955 between Western Illinois and Luther. That game was played at Hanson Field.  Attendance = 5,000.

There was no game played in 1952 and 1954.

Most of the games were played at Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington.

The bowl was sponsored by the Hybrid Seed Corn Breeders of Illinois and the Bloomington American Legion.

screamingeaglepride

wiu712 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:05 pm The Corn Bowl was a college football bowl game played from 1947 until 1955 in central Illinois. The first game was played November 27, 1947 in Normal, Illinois between Southern Illinois and North Central of Illinois.

Its final game was played November 24, 1955 between Western Illinois and Luther. That game was played at Hanson Field.  Attendance = 5,000.

There was no game played in 1952 and 1954.

Most of the games were played at Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington.

The bowl was sponsored by the Hybrid Seed Corn Breeders of Illinois and the Bloomington American Legion.

Maybe Western Illinois and Eastern Illinois can play for the "corn bowl" trophy and call the game the "Corn Bowl Football Classic".