Leaving the conference

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Well I do have to say that the OVC baseball tournament is the dumbest thing I’ve seen.
bignecks

It is an 8 team conference. Is it really that controversial to have an 8 team double elimination tournament, no teams getting extra games, seeding gives advantages? This shouldn't be hard. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

That does really seem like an odd way to do a bracket. #5 EIU had to do the following to win the championship: win, win, loss (to #1 Morehead State), win, win, win (over #1 Morehead State)...so, 6 games.
Morehead State didn't have to play until the 3rd round, where they beat EIU in their first game, beat #2 Little Rock, then lost to #5 EIU...3 games.

Also, the first two rounds, it's single elimination (the losing teams in the first two rounds go home), but in round 3 it becomes double-elimination. That looks like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... _Final.pdf

When we join, there will be 10 baseball playing teams. It'd be nice if they could switch to something a bit less "off-kilter". You could either go with a regular 8-team double-elimination bracket like this (https://erasabletournamentbrackets.com/ ... 8-team.pdf) leaving the #9 and #10 teams at home, or you could do that bracket, plus 2 play-in games. Like, you include all 10 teams, but:
#7 plays #10, winner becomes the #7 seed in the above bracket, loser goes home
#8 plays #9, winner becomes the #8 seed in the above bracket, loser goes home

It's single-elimination for the bottom 4 teams, the top 2 teams get low-ranked teams who have already played one game, so they're a bit more tired, but it's much more even in the number of games.
sealhall74

The SEC has a weird format for their 12 team conference baseball tournament.  Mix of single elimination (first round and semifinal round) and double elimination but no team plays more than once a day.  I have been to Birmingham several times to see it although not lately.  It does not get much better than this IMHO unless you want to extend the tournament for a full week of play.  I definitely like the idea of no team having to play twice in a day, especially on championship day.  

https://www.secsports.com/bracket/baseball

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Bubb mentioned that Men's Soccer will remain in the Summit League for the upcoming year, moving over for the 2024 season. The season for that starts in August, so it's going to be easier schedule-wise for both the Summit League and Ohio Valley to keep the currently-established schedule for this fall. Because of us being flexible on moving that team, the Summit League has agreed to allow us 2 years to pay the exit fee (vs the normal 2 months).

screamingeaglepride

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:49 pm Bubb mentioned that Men's Soccer will remain in the Summit League for the upcoming year, moving over for the 2024 season. The season for that starts in August, so it's going to be easier schedule-wise for both the Summit League and Ohio Valley to keep the currently-established schedule for this fall. Because of us being flexible on moving that team, the Summit League has agreed to allow us 2 years to pay the exit fee (vs the normal 2 months).

I love Western Illinois going to the OVC but I wonder if Western Illinois should have waited until 2024-25  to join the OVC
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

screamingeaglepride wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:47 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:49 pm Bubb mentioned that Men's Soccer will remain in the Summit League for the upcoming year, moving over for the 2024 season. The season for that starts in August, so it's going to be easier schedule-wise for both the Summit League and Ohio Valley to keep the currently-established schedule for this fall. Because of us being flexible on moving that team, the Summit League has agreed to allow us 2 years to pay the exit fee (vs the normal 2 months).

I love Western Illinois going to the OVC but I wonder if Western Illinois should have waited until 2024-25  to join the OVC

Maybe, but something else he mentioned was that he's the type of guy who feels like if they've made the decision, they should go ahead and do it. Might be good, might be bad, but that's how he is. Also, since moving all the other sports to the OVC is supposed to save us money, then some of that savings should help balance out a bit of the exit fee.

bignecks

With the summit kicking the tires on football, I'm convinced Bubb went early to try and set up as a better chess piece for that wave of conference changes. 
screamingeaglepride

Will Western Illinois women's soccer and women's volleyball be in the OVC or Summit League in the 2023 season?