Campus Improvements - Adams & Ward Corner area

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western will begin tearing down the houses along Adams Street between Ward and Sherman Avenue on Monday. This area, for those that aren't aware: https://goo.gl/maps/2TDXybyJMB6

More details from email from Facilities Management:
WIU Facilities Management will be working with Chat Ltd. for the removal of four (4) houses purchased by the University along Adams Street. Contractors are currently working on cutting and capping utilities to the homes and will be bringing in heavy equipment beginning Monday, October 12, 2015 to start the demolition. As outlined in the Western Illinois University Macomb Master Plan, these properties will be turned into green space in order to establish a strong first impression across campus.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Newspaper article about the demolition:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... /151009601
Tere North

OK, so it's in the master plan. But is this really worth what will amount to 1/2 millions $, particularly in the current economic times.
LocalFan

I too question if this is the best use of the university's resources at this time. Wouldn't it make more sense to use that money for some of the deferred maintenance needs we keep hearing about? Also, how much property tax revenue will the city and school lose now that these parcels are owned by WIU? That concerns me as well.
Tere North

Good added points about the loss of property revenue LocalFan. I hadn't thought of that aspect, just the spending of a 1/2 mil on fluff. Combined the purchase price I think was $260K. That would be $8-9K in lost property taxes each year.